Support Forums

Full Version: More or Less?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I opened a gaming related website a few months ago:
http://www.GamerCore.net

Originally it took off rather well for a new site, but the hosting I was on was absolute crap and kept crashing / taking the site down. So I had to switch hosts and didn't back up the database. Lost all the users and posts, and for some reason no one came back. Now I'm going to be relaunching it. I was wondering for sections if there should be more or less. By that I mean, ideally I want there to be sections for specific games, however with no members at the moment it would look extremely empty.

So, the question is: more or less?
Should I have more sections to draw in users looking for discussion about certain games, and risk that the site looks empty.

OR

Should I just have broad sections (IE - PC Gaming, Console Gaming) as opposed to specific sections (League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Maplestory, etc)?
I Think a forum with many boards is good thats what I preffer
I don't like the design. oh well :{
A good idea is host a sticky with Omniscient. Lol and advertise advertise and advertise. If you have premium access's give a couple away for free to those who post the most. If members recommend some stuff, implement it. That stuff always seem to work.
I have always been a fan of having less sections and then more sub-sections. That way it looks like you have more posts than you do. More people are more likely to register that way.
I say create a couple and then make a thread asking your community what they would want.
More but with the illusion of less. Get more specific boards but put them under more general categories just like SF and HF. Both forums have lots of boards and it would take you a few scrolls to get to the bottom but the tabs on top as general categories makes it look less intimidating.
Add a few more sections but don't overpower the forum with sections.