Support Forums

Full Version: how to train my dog?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok so i got a dog, it's a maltese
breed. (still a puppy) so anyone
knows when and how i need to
train him. I want to teach him to
sit,play dead when i say him to,
so Link me to a good tot or
something, thnx Smile
To teach your dog to play dead would take some work. I can tell you how I trained all of my dogs to sit/lay down/stay/roll/shake.

It's a process. You don't start out by saying "sit" and expect them to know.

First, start out by showing them a treat (i used cut up hot dogs, cheap). Then when they think they are getting it, watch them (it may take a while) and as soon as they sit, give it to them. Then move (to get the dog to get up) and show them the treat.. then 'AS SOON' as their butt hits the floor, give them the treat. This helps associate the behavior with the treat. It will take different dogs different amount of repetitions for them to get it. So it might take a few sessions to get them to start sitting quickly. Once they do, start using the command "sit" in conjunction with showing them a treat. Then eventually, DO NOT show them a treat, while telling them to sit.. once they do, show them some love and give them a treat for doing good.

Main point: don't rush the training. Don't move on to the next step unless you are confident the dog understands what it's doing.
wow thanks mate, that helped me a lot! But how old does he needs to be to start training?
(05-25-2011, 12:59 PM)mladen190 Wrote: [ -> ]wow thanks mate, that helped me a lot! But how old does he needs to be to start training?

I've heard it's best to start training around 4-5 months (at least obedience training). I started mine at 4 and they all learned really quick. But you can still start later and they should pick it up just as well.
I got one book about it.About training german shepherd.It says u gotta wait one year to train him.
Show him encouragement. Don't give him treats to do tricks or such, that just makes them dependent. When they do someone correctly give them a hug and or tell them they did good.
(05-29-2011, 06:34 PM)Atthackers Wrote: [ -> ]Show him encouragement. Don't give him treats to do tricks or such, that just makes them dependent. When they do someone correctly give them a hug and or tell them they did good.

That depends. You can start them off on treats. But then later make them do it simply for affection. I switch it up with my dogs. Sometimes the get treats, but a lot of the time they get only affection.
i think there are some good videos how to trai a dog on youtube. just try it bro.