Support Forums

Full Version: Cat drinking from dirty water
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

Every so often I catch my cat drinking from my pond and my question is can this make him ill. The water is absolutely filthy and god knows what is living in it. A friend told me that they can drink it fine without worry. However I am not completely convinced, I have been stopping him even if he so much as looks at the pond but I cant constantly be vigilant. I just want my mind put to rest because the last thing I want to do is fork out aload of money for the vet due to him having a parasite or something.

thanks
No offense dude but this is one of the reasons i hate cats. They are so annoying
If a dog can drink out of a toilet, I don't see why a cat can't drink out of a pond. Maybe he's trying to catch some fish.
(05-15-2011, 05:25 PM)Sly Wrote: [ -> ]If a dog can drink out of a toilet, I don't see why a cat can't drink out of a pond. Maybe he's trying to catch some fish.

I would be surprised if the pond could support life of fish it looks more like toxic waste then water.
(05-15-2011, 05:25 PM)Tunasty™ Wrote: [ -> ]No offense dude but this is one of the reasons i hate cats. They are so annoying

Yeah I can see your point, To be honest I didn't even want the bloody thing it was the girlfriends idear.
That's usually how freshwater ponds look if they aren't taken care of. They get muddy looking, and algae on the surface. I'm sure it can support life, though.
(05-15-2011, 05:34 PM)Sly Wrote: [ -> ]That's usually how freshwater ponds look if they aren't taken care of. They get muddy looking, and algae on the surface. I'm sure it can support life, though.

I think I might purchase a net which I will lay over the pond just to stop him drinking out of it.
lol. I seriously doubt that anything is going to happen. I mean, cats eat mice, birds, bugs, and a lot more that could cause more harm than drinking from a slightly dirty pond.
When I get out of the shower, my cat goes in and licks the water... He is fat I don't know how lol.
As long as the water is not chlorinated or dyed or anything he should be fine, but I wouldn't let him do it as all sorts of bacteria could be breeding in the pond...
I agree with the other repliers on this one.
I doubt that your cat would get sick from this.
It is a bad habit though.
Perhaps try and find some kind of method to persuade not to do it, although cats are a very stubborn animal.
Pages: 1 2 3