Support Forums

Full Version: How to change your oil and filter. [Full Tut]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, i'm new here and would like to be helpful. So, heres my tut on how to change oil.
Steps on changing your oil.

These may vary depending on what kind of vehicle you drive.
1.Common sense, go to walmart and ask an employee in the auto zone for the proper oil for your climate and weather and vehicle. They should also help you with a fuel filter.

2.Depending on your vehicle, drive your car or truck up on ramps or jack it up. If you have a truck, there is usually no need to do eather of these. If you have a car, i recommend jacking it up and placing jack stands on four sturdy cross members, two on front and two on the back. Be careful NOT to put it on your suspension, it won't hurt your car, but it will flex and if the jack stand falls you don't want to be under it.

3.Once you are under the vehicle, find your oil pan. Once you find your oil pan use a closed-face wrench to pull your drain plug. I use a oil catch pan to catch my oil, but you can use what ever you see fit. Once the oil starts draining into the catch wait about 20-25 minutes for it to fully drain. You want your vehicle as level as possible for this.

4.Once your oil pan is empty, you will need a "oil-filter wrench" very common pretty much everywhere. Take your fuel filter off, turn it upside down on something so it can drain.

5.Put your drain plug back in the oil pan. Be careful not to tighten it to much, they are famous for stripping or cracking your oil pan.

6.If possible put some oil in your new oil filter, it is better on your engine. You want to hand tighten your oil filter, once it is hand tightened use you oil-filter wrench to snug it. Use common sense here, you don't want it to loose or it will fall off while driving and your engine will more than likely be ruined before you catch it. But you don't want it to tight because, just like drain plugs there are famous for stripping out.

7.After you have your oil filter and drain plug back in and tight, you can take your vehicle off jack stands or off the ramp if you wish, it really doesn't matter.

8.Use a funnel to pour the oil into your engine, in most cases it's on the right hand side of the engine. once you have the recommended amount of oil in your engine, put the cap back on.

9.After you have completed the previous steps, turn your engine over a couple times. Don't turn it on, just turn it over. after two or three times turn your engine over fully. When it starts, look under your vehicle for leaking oil. If it's a car back it up a couple feet so you can see. If there is oil on the ground that wasn't there before shut your vehicle off right away and check the drain plug and fuel-filter for tightness.

If there is no oil on the ground your good to go. Remember to dispose of oil properly. (I'm not a tree hugger, it's just in here for tutorial purposes lol)

Well, i hope this helped you guys in some way. I'm sure most of you know how to do this. So this is obviously for those who have no clue.

Enjoy.
This is really nice one, there are alot of people who pay for such a simple job because they don't know how to.

Thank you!
A good tutorial, not too much information and should be easily understood by everyone.

Perhaps when you get time, you could add some different colours and make certain parts stand out more. At the moment it's all one colour and kind of boring looking. The content is good though, good job.
No problem, i'm glad to help. I also thought it was crazy how much people pay for something that takes a very small amount of time.
Yep skill, I'll be sure to add some colors right now. Thanks.
(10-20-2009, 01:20 PM)ktmrider530 Wrote: [ -> ]No problem, i'm glad to help. I also thought it was crazy how much people pay for something that takes a very small amount of time.
Yep skill, I'll be sure to add some colors right now. Thanks.

Omg Yes it's crazy, but the most "ignorant" is that they don't even want to learn it.
Nice chages you have there but you've missed on at the bottom. Whistle
(10-20-2009, 01:31 PM)NinjaGeek Wrote: [ -> ]Omg Yes it's crazy, but the most "ignorant" is that they don't even want to learn it.
Nice chages you have there but you've missed on at the bottom. Whistle
I know, i'm 17 and knew how to change oil it the age of 14 or 15. And i fixed it, thanks.