Support Forums

Full Version: Installing Ubuntu on a PC with windows.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you want to install Ubuntu on a PC with windows with only one drive, then you don't need to partition your drive or get a new disk. This will be done by Ubuntu 9.04.

First, download Ubuntu here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Then, burn the ISO onto a CD. If you do not hav ISO BURNING SOFTWARE get free IMGBURN here
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Then pop it into you CD drive and restart. [Make sure your first boot device is Optical Drive, which is very common, and I will make a tut on that also.]

Ubuntu menu will appear, choose English and Install Ubuntu.

Follow the setup, until it comes to a part called "Partiton Manager" or similar... [I can't remember lol]

There choose "Install Ubuntu side-by-side with windows".

Then continue till the installation is done.

Then you will have both Ubuntu and windows installed with dual-boot.

It is better if you install it on a seperate disk, because everything is done my the Ubuntu partitoner here, and I'm not responsible. ;)
You could also try Wubi if you won't want to mess with particions.
You spelt windows wrong in the title by the way, you can change that easily though.
I don't recommend dual booting from one hard drive, it can go wrong in so many ways. Just pay 20 bucks for a 40 gigger and be done with it.
Might want to install Handy Haron, its the best Ubuntu by far.
Big Grin Just trying to be useful... Not sure if this is useful, but I'm sure it might help someone.

@940
Thanks.
(10-07-2009, 04:33 AM)SkullTraill Wrote: [ -> ]Big Grin Just trying to be useful... Not sure if this is useful, but I'm sure it might help someone.

It is, well not for me because I already done it... but it's nice and simple.

And there isn't actually a need to burn the CD.. you can also run it with Daemon Tools.. it works same.
(10-17-2009, 06:47 AM)NinjaGeek Wrote: [ -> ]It is, well not for me because I already done it... but it's nice and simple.

And there isn't actually a need to burn the CD.. you can also run it with Daemon Tools.. it works same.

Not if you want to boot with it.
(10-21-2009, 06:59 AM)SkullTraill Wrote: [ -> ]Not if you want to boot with it.

You got the point there, and it's better to burn it to CD.
But like when I tried Ubuntu first time, I didn't have a CD/DVD Bebe-pleure
So I've installed with daemon tools and the burned with ubuntu when I got the cd
(10-05-2009, 04:00 PM)Tm0 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't recommend dual booting from one hard drive, it can go wrong in so many ways.
explain please. i use dualboot on my lap so i want know your experience with DB