Support Forums

Full Version: Legal Issues with Family
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Support Forums, I'm at a stopping point. Let me give you a background before I go into my question.

I'm 16, but a few years back my family had some major issues. See I grew up with my dad and stepmom, while visiting my mother once every few weeks mainly. Then, that ceased when I was about eleven. When I was in the 7th grade, my stepmom told me she wanted to adopt me. I agreed being a retarded little kid. So she said she did, and then life went on. I talked to my mom every once in a while but not much. By the time I got to high school, I snuck around seeing her since I had the freedom. My parents got mad, cut our ties for a while(no phone access, etc). Then the next year(sophmore year), they got an order of protection between her and I because we got caught again. That was roughly December of 2010.

Now, my father and mother are going to court for child support she couldn't pay when I was younger. My father is claiming I'm an emancipated minor in court, while only asking for older child support fees from before the 7th grade.

My major concern is here.
>He claims I'm emancipated in court, however I have no documentation or proof of it.
>I can't ask my father, because he'd know my mother and I are talking and then he'd try to send her to jail, however if I am truly emancipated the order of protection is dropped.

How would I go about researching my emancipation status, being 16 with every day access to the internet? The court is to far away for me and I don't have the money for any court fees. But I do have all the time I need to research all of this.

Anon, if any of you can help me that would be amazing. Because if I'm emancipated I'm going to be making some changes in my life real quick, like getting a drivers license, etc.
(05-07-2011, 04:14 PM)Colegiance Wrote: [ -> ]Support Forums, I'm at a stopping point. Let me give you a background before I go into my question.

I'm 16, but a few years back my family had some major issues. See I grew up with my dad and stepmom, while visiting my mother once every few weeks mainly. Then, that ceased when I was about eleven. When I was in the 7th grade, my stepmom told me she wanted to adopt me. I agreed being a retarded little kid. So she said she did, and then life went on. I talked to my mom every once in a while but not much. By the time I got to high school, I snuck around seeing her since I had the freedom. My parents got mad, cut our ties for a while(no phone access, etc). Then the next year(sophmore year), they got an order of protection between her and I because we got caught again. That was roughly December of 2010.

Now, my father and mother are going to court for child support she couldn't pay when I was younger. My father is claiming I'm an emancipated minor in court, while only asking for older child support fees from before the 7th grade.

My major concern is here.
>He claims I'm emancipated in court, however I have no documentation or proof of it.
>I can't ask my father, because he'd know my mother and I are talking and then he'd try to send her to jail, however if I am truly emancipated the order of protection is dropped.

How would I go about researching my emancipation status, being 16 with every day access to the internet? The court is to far away for me and I don't have the money for any court fees. But I do have all the time I need to research all of this.

Anon, if any of you can help me that would be amazing. Because if I'm emancipated I'm going to be making some changes in my life real quick, like getting a drivers license, etc.

I don't get it. Why doesn't your father want you to see your mother? If you want to see her nobody can stop you. It's not up to him. He has to ask about your opinion. I believe that a 16 years old guy is old enough to make his own decisions and the court can hear your thoughts. You have the right to decide. The worst occasion is, get 18 and do whatever you want to.
(05-07-2011, 04:14 PM)Colegiance Wrote: [ -> ]Anon, if any of you can help me

wat?

There is no way for you to simply find it online, your only option is in person at the court house, either that or asking your mother to dig it up, she should be able to get a copy from the court as well.
(05-07-2011, 05:41 PM)harris21 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get it. Why doesn't your father want you to see your mother? If you want to see her nobody can stop you. It's not up to him. He has to ask about your opinion. I believe that a 16 years old guy is old enough to make his own decisions and the court can hear your thoughts. You have the right to decide. The worst occasion is, get 18 and do whatever you want to.
I don't have the right to decide as of now, order of protection. Also, the situation is that either I'm adopted by my stepmother or emancipated.

(05-07-2011, 06:11 PM)Swat Runs Train Wrote: [ -> ]wat?

There is no way for you to simply find it online, your only option is in person at the court house, either that or asking your mother to dig it up, she should be able to get a copy from the court as well.

She's trying to find it, but she can't find anything so far. She's going to work on it in their next hearing.

There's no way online I can research it? Or find it?
Public Records? Anything?
My mom said theres a way, but I'm failing to find it.
So if I'm getting this right your father don't want you to see your mother? Confused
(05-08-2011, 07:00 AM)Bengan Wrote: [ -> ]So if I'm getting this right your father don't want you to see your mother? Confused

No he does not.

thats not his choice to make. tell your dad and step mom to fudge off
tell the step mom you were too young to make an educated decision
wait 2 years, tell both of them to f off
(05-08-2011, 05:31 PM)Guest Wrote: [ -> ]thats not his choice to make. tell your dad and step mom to fudge off
tell the step mom you were too young to make an educated decision
There's a change I was emancipated instead, I'm wondering how to research that.

(05-08-2011, 08:44 PM)Aware Wrote: [ -> ]wait 2 years, tell both of them to f off

Same as above.