Support Forums

Full Version: Smoking substitute
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My mom's been taking care of my ill grandmother for over a year now and as a result, started smoking again to relieve some stress. I want to know if there's another way I can propose her to relieve the stress that my grandmother brings onto her because she has to care of her all day, besides smoking.
I smoke, and I know that whenever somebody supplies an alternative to me, I ignore them.
It's very hard to stop smoking, and people who don't smoke don't realize just how hard it is.
The only way she will stop, is if SHE wants to.
However, if she's stopped before, then she obviously is capable of stopping again. Talk to her about it.
I smoke and enjoy it, I've never tried a substitute. I see all the articles and that but they don't scare me. I think you should let her be for the time being.
Well first step is to talk to her about it, a few of my friends got something called champix from the doctor, just a pill. They tell you to keep on smoking but eventually this pill makes smoking taste disgusting and you can quit with no cravings as a result, worked wonders for them.
(05-03-2011, 03:21 PM)Swat Runs Train Wrote: [ -> ]Well first step is to talk to her about it, a few of my friends got something called champix from the doctor, just a pill. They tell you to keep on smoking but eventually this pill makes smoking taste disgusting and you can quit with no cravings as a result, worked wonders for them.

yup i used it and quit easily for a year. but i was dumb and started smoking again.
Smoking is great for you. Not even close...

It is the worst thing you can do to your body because your lungs are getting crippled. I suggest you tell her she has a risk of getting a life threatening disease... Substitues are even worse, or you will think to yourself "The original thing was better... *throws away substitute*". If you smoke at such a rate (daily basis) you will die before the age of 60 years old.
Smoking is damaging your body dont do it :/ Try other alternatives that will keep your mind busy. When i'm getting really stressed I get a bag of sunflower seeds and it keeps me preoccupied.
You should get her to stop smoking ASAP. Anything you could do.
I think you should talk to your mom about the whole situation. You can't really do anything about illness except give her the medicine she needs and being there to take care of your grandmother.

I know smoking is bad, and your mom knows that too. However, she still does it.

I don't know what kind of substitute is best, but just make sure that she knows that you're there for her. Also, remind her that you don't like her smoking, because you don't want her to become ill and pass away at an early age.

Maybe she has something that she likes to do. (Besides Smoking). Maybe hobbies? Or even taking a walk and bonding together. You can even stay with her and stay with your grandmother and by doing that, you can try and take care of the both of them.

Or, you can even propose that you could take care of your grandmother for some days, so that your mom doesn't get stressed of taking care of your grandmother EVERY day. I think it's a good way to have some alone time with you and your grandmother. And you both will be taking care of her.

I also wish the best luck to your grandmother, and pray that she will recover soon.
These replies weren't very helpful, especially those by users that don't read the topic properly.
An alternative would be e-cigarettes. My mom has been using them for 6+ months now and they're great.

It's basically water vapor instead of smoke, and concentrated flavor with nicotine in it.

Completely safe, it's no more harmful then drinking a soda.
Pages: 1 2