Support Forums

Full Version: Reserving space
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How do I reserve space on my hard drive for temporarily files?
I dont think this is possible what version windows do you use?
(04-27-2011, 03:11 PM)Unreal Wrote: [ -> ]I dont think this is possible what version windows do you use?

This was posted in the Windows Vista forum so you could assume that it's Vista I believe.

Why would you want to do that anyway? They get cleared out and replaced by new temporary files used by your computer for all sorts of things. For example, when you choose to click a download link from a website, and instead of downloading it to your computer you choose the "Open" option, it's misleading because it gets placed into your Temp folder anyway so that it can execute itself to open on your computer. If you reserve that space for a certain amount of space, say 10MB just for the heck of it, now even if you only have 2mb of temp files, you can't use up that other 8mb. Also, reserving it means that you can't go over that limit anyway.

It's always changing, I don't see any logical reason to why you'd want to reserve that space..

Unless you're talking about Temporary Internet Files. Then that can be done from your web browser, and i'd say anywhere between 10mb to 15mb is decent.
I want to reserve it so I actually have space for temporary files, and so I can't put to much on my primary hard drive.
From what i've read on your other thread about reinstalling a program on your External. You need a bigger hard drive without a doubt. If your running your computer with barely enough space to keep temporary files on your computer, then you run the risk of losing data, and in addition having corrupt data. Don't bother with anything on your computer until you've gotten a bigger hard drive, it's not worth it trust me.
I have 156 GB of 224 GB free on the Internal hard drive, and I don't know how to delete temporary files, but that's not important, I don't want to have to little space for temporary files, and if I'm right, Defragmenting.
(04-27-2011, 03:56 PM)Aelita Wrote: [ -> ]I have 156 GB of 224 GB free on the Internal hard drive, and I don't know how to delete temporary files, but that's not important, I don't want to have to little space for temporary files, and if I'm right, Defragmenting.

:S Defragmenting doesn't take up space, it just fixes fragmented parts of your computer hard drive. There's a defrag tool already available on your Vista, or should be. You still have an okay amoutn of space from what I can see. Just don't install general programs on your external. Temp Files really usually take up from anywhere between 20MB to maybe 200MB for me, but I do regular computer maintenance to keep things running smoothly on my desktop.

Temp internet files should be in your hidden AppData folder on your users folder though. You don't need to be allocating or reserving space just for temp files though. There's a dedicated folder for them already on your computer, and they get cleaned regularly if you do that. Learn how to clean them btw, it's computer basics, you can go to the disk cleanup utility from your start menu to clean up your HD.
I know Defragmenting doesn't take up space, but it needs space so it can move things around.
And I don't exactly know how to delete temp files, other than cache and cookies.
Should be located at C:\Users\%User%\AppData\Local\Temp

Where %User% would be your personal user folder name. There's others though, but you should know about the temp folder...
You can Setu I'd particians.
Pages: 1 2