Support Forums

Full Version: Perfect vision no more
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm 18 and have always had perfect vision. Yesterday, I out of the blue, my mom scheduled a check-up at the optometrist to see if everything is in order. Usually I'm thrilled to go because I never have any problems and I do quite well on the eye exams. That wasn't the case when I walked out today.

I turns out that one of my eyes is weaker than the other. "That's not uncommon" the doctor explained. What got me nervous is when she handed me my results on a slip of paper, something I've never gotten before and told me that it would be best to get a pair of glasses for class and driving. Apparently I have a hard time seeing things from far and as a result, I squint my eyes and this can cause forehead wrinkles and over a long period of time, migraines and such.

I was really pissed and stressed out when I found out. I asked the doctor if it was really a necessity to get the glasses and she said it was up to you. She said it's always better not to strain yourself so it would be a good idea. I told her that I don't have trouble seeing which only after I left the store I thought about and realized I do. When I sit in class, I sometimes squint to take notes. But then again, I always sit in the back, for some reason. I haven't had any problems driving but then again, I just began a year ago.

I've decided to not get any glasses since the deficiency is so small and not worth the trouble. I'm going to start sitting in the front of my classes and see if it helps. I hope it will.

I guess what scares me the most about all this is just the fact that I never had glasses and never thought I would. I can't imagine myself wearing them. Even though they'd only be for driving and reading gin class, it's still a bother. Anyone else felt like this when they first got their glasses? This came as a complete surprise to me this morning. I'm so mad. Should I just get them?
For someone who's had glasses since he was eleven, Its hard to really give an honest reaction to wearing them.
Wearing spectacles can be a bother, and its awkward and hindering sometimes. But in my humble opinion, its worth it.
Your eyes get weaker the more strain you put on them, and even if you don't get them now, you'll have to get them in the future.
So either ways, you're going to be stuck with them. So its better to start getting used to the feel of them now and get accustomed to them.
Its just in my opinion, but trust me. Other than an optometrist, no one knows more about annoying glasses than me Tongue
(04-27-2011, 09:38 AM)BlackChaos Wrote: [ -> ]For someone who's had glasses since he was eleven, Its hard to really give an honest reaction to wearing them.
Wearing spectacles can be a bother, and its awkward and hindering sometimes. But in my humble opinion, its worth it.
Your eyes get weaker the more strain you put on them, and even if you don't get them now, you'll have to get them in the future.
So either ways, you're going to be stuck with them. So its better to start getting used to the feel of them now and get accustomed to them.
Its just in my opinion, but trust me. Other than an optometrist, no one knows more about annoying glasses than me Tongue

The worst part about this is that I know you're right and was expecting that kind of answer but I'm scared of it.
(04-27-2011, 09:40 AM)Solidify Wrote: [ -> ]The worst part about this is that I know you're right and was expecting that kind of answer but I'm scared of it.

Hey, it's okay mate Smile
Tell me honestly, why exactly are you scared?
(04-27-2011, 09:45 AM)BlackChaos Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, it's okay mate Smile
Tell me honestly, why exactly are you scared?

Of change. I don't want to have to wear glasses. I'll look so gay.
(04-27-2011, 09:49 AM)Solidify Wrote: [ -> ]Of change. I don't want to have to wear glasses. I'll look so gay.

lol Valid reason I guess.
But you're only as gay as you think you are. I know, it sounds a little cheesy, but its true.
I can suggest many types of spectacles which will make you seem smart instead of degrading your appearance. Its all about how you choose to carry yourself. I actually wore glasses like these:
When I first got glasses, I was the weirdest kid in school.

But what I figured out is that if I wanted to, I could think of it as a good thing. And I did Smile
Of course, I did get cooler glasses afterwards:
Can you get contacts? I've always had 20-20 vision and don't have a clue how glasses work...
As suggested above, if glasses bother you, contacts have come a long ways recently, you can get ones you put in and simply forget about for a month, then you just put in a fresh pair.
My classmates vision got fudged up a while ago when he welded without a mask at school.
He got glasses but he doesn't use them.

SF censors the f-word
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welding )
I got glasses a couple years ago.
A lot of people say I look good with them on.
My pair doesn't look cool or anything, they're just small, brown, normal looking glasses.
Pages: 1 2 3 4