Support Forums

Full Version: Dodge Engine Light Code Trick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you own a Dodge and you have the check engine light on you don't need a mechanic or reader. Here is a great trick to grab the codes.

1. Turn off car.
2. Wait 10 seconds
3. Turn car on and off 3 times but never turn all the way to start. Just get it so the car powers on.
4. Watch odometer for codes as they will flicker the numbers for you.

That's it.

As far as I know this works with all recent Dodge vehicles.
I've heard of this. I have never seen it done or tried. I think my brother's problem is fixed now though. He owns a 2000 Dodge Dakota. I'll tell him about this though so he can try it next time. Thanks for the trick Omni.
You can do it without the engine light on and it should say "done" after you do it.
I have heard of something similar for my GMC. It resets the odometer when things like "Change Oil" appear.
For my car i jump under the passenger side and get the computers connector and then get a wire and connect the 2 far pins which gives me the error codes for the computer. I think thats the same thing? Makes the engine warning light flash.
So if a censor is out somewhere for example and you want to know where you do that and check the flash sequence and that will tell you where the problem is.
I think Chevy had a trick where you turn off the car and pump the gas 3 times and then hold it and turn the car back on(Just power, don't turn the engine over). I've never owned a GM besides a Cadillac though and the codes for that were different, so I've never got to try it.