Support Forums

Full Version: SupportMaster - Personal Support Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I'm not a qualified doctor or psychiatrist, but I know that it helps sometimes just to talk to someone if you're going through a tough time or know someone who is.
This is why I've created my Personal Support Thread. I've made it so that anyone can post about what's bothering them and I'll offer my full support and advice.
Also, if you feel as though you'd like to help out with others' troubles, don't hesitate to lend a helping hand and share your advice in here as well.
Go into as much detail as you're willing to, so I'll have optimum knowledge to work with.
If you have any inquiries about the thread, send me a private message or simply post a reply here.
I'd like to help people solve their problems and offer my sincere opinion on the matter.
Thanks.
ill support your thread by being the first Tongue

Ummm... I have father issues. Like he is a control freak. Liberty is a no-no in my world. He likes having control of everythnig, especially when it comes to electronics. Like he put's restrictions on the router so I can't really do much. I tries bruteforcing it, but no luck. Now he moved to Manitoba while I stayed in ontarion (in Canada) and he bloked like everytnig while he was away. He puts dumb ass "rules" for no reason too. Why? Because he said so. IDK, he is dumb sometimes.

There you go, thats my confession Tongue
(10-19-2009, 06:24 AM)p0w3r0fchr1st Wrote: [ -> ]ill support your thread by being the first Tongue

Ummm... I have father issues. Like he is a control freak. Liberty is a no-no in my world. He likes having control of everythnig, especially when it comes to electronics. Like he put's restrictions on the router so I can't really do much. I tries bruteforcing it, but no luck. Now he moved to Manitoba while I stayed in ontarion (in Canada) and he bloked like everytnig while he was away. He puts dumb ass "rules" for no reason too. Why? Because he said so. IDK, he is dumb sometimes.

Believe it or not, my father and yours aren't that different. My father disconnects the router whenever he's not using his computer. He says that I've been using it for too long and what not.
I'm guessing the reason he has these 'rules' is to protect you. If he's blocking sites that he feels may be inappropriate, then I guess he's doing you a favour. If he's blocking everything, regardless of it's content, then it's probably an uncalled for display of superiority.
In my experience, the best thing you can do is to try one of two things. How's your general behaviour around the household? Are you the most tolerant person? If not, I'd suggest sucking-up to your father. I mean being really nice; going the extra mile on everything at home. Make sure you do all your chores before your parents have to ask and things of such nature. The main aim here is to make your parents absolutely love you. This'll, in tern, force your father to feel guilt whenever he takes away your privileges (blocking websites, disconnecting you from the network). Your father and mine might be completely different, but maybe they'll act in a similar way. I've noticed that if I act like an angel, he'll have no choice but to be nice in return. If this doesn't work, give it time. My dad used to block absolutely everything, but things changed. Things will change for you too.
My second suggestion is possibly the easier thing you could do. Talk to him. I understand that he's currently in Manitoba at the moment, so maybe it'd be best for you to wait for him to get home and talk to him in personal. Ask him why he's doing it. It'll be really hard at first but I'm sure that he'll give you some sort of justified answer. He's not going to ignore you if you ask him straight up.
If you cannot wait for him to get back, perhaps calling him is the best bet. Hell, even try social engineering him. Say that he's accidentally blocked Google and you need it for homework. Ask him for the router's password. Try pressuring him into it - people make bad decisions when they're under pressure.
Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure that you'll be able to make some moral conversation with your father to ensure your privileges are restored. Make him understand why you're annoyed by this and get him to provide reasons why he feels this way about having such control over you.
I don't know how much I've helped because of your current long distance relationship with your father, but hopefully you can take something from this.
If you'd like further advice, please don't hesitate to ask me anything. If there's something else you'd like to add to what you've said, just post it and I'll do my best to help out. Thanks.
(10-19-2009, 02:40 PM)SupportMaster Wrote: [ -> ]Believe it or not, my father and yours aren't that different. My father disconnects the router whenever he's not using his computer. He says that I've been using it for too long and what not.
I'm guessing the reason he has these 'rules' is to protect you. If he's blocking sites that he feels may be inappropriate, then I guess he's doing you a favour. If he's blocking everything, regardless of it's content, then it's probably an uncalled for display of superiority.
In my experience, the best thing you can do is to try one of two things. How's your general behaviour around the household? Are you the most tolerant person? If not, I'd suggest sucking-up to your father. I mean being really nice; going the extra mile on everything at home. Make sure you do all your chores before your parents have to ask and things of such nature. The main aim here is to make your parents absolutely love you. This'll, in tern, force your father to feel guilt whenever he takes away your privileges (blocking websites, disconnecting you from the network). Your father and mine might be completely different, but maybe they'll act in a similar way. I've noticed that if I act like an angel, he'll have no choice but to be nice in return. If this doesn't work, give it time. My dad used to block absolutely everything, but things changed. Things will change for you too.
My second suggestion is possibly the easier thing you could do. Talk to him. I understand that he's currently in Manitoba at the moment, so maybe it'd be best for you to wait for him to get home and talk to him in personal. Ask him why he's doing it. It'll be really hard at first but I'm sure that he'll give you some sort of justified answer. He's not going to ignore you if you ask him straight up.
If you cannot wait for him to get back, perhaps calling him is the best bet. Hell, even try social engineering him. Say that he's accidentally blocked Google and you need it for homework. Ask him for the router's password. Try pressuring him into it - people make bad decisions when they're under pressure.
Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure that you'll be able to make some moral conversation with your father to ensure your privileges are restored. Make him understand why you're annoyed by this and get him to provide reasons why he feels this way about having such control over you.
I don't know how much I've helped because of your current long distance relationship with your father, but hopefully you can take something from this.
If you'd like further advice, please don't hesitate to ask me anything. If there's something else you'd like to add to what you've said, just post it and I'll do my best to help out. Thanks.

Actually I have tried to talk to him. But he just said "No. get out of my room, the rules are the rules..." like he won't let me have an opinion.
(10-19-2009, 06:24 AM)p0w3r0fchr1st Wrote: [ -> ]ill support your thread by being the first Tongue

+1
(10-19-2009, 05:26 PM)HaruhiSuzumiya Wrote: [ -> ]+1
you too?
(10-19-2009, 03:30 PM)p0w3r0fchr1st Wrote: [ -> ]Actually I have tried to talk to him. But he just said "No. get out of my room, the rules are the rules..." like he won't let me have an opinion.

In that case, I'd wait. Perhaps things will get better in the future. Good luck.