Support Forums

Full Version: Serious Factoring Help [Algebra 1]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How do I factor a^2 - 4ac + ab - 4bc?

Can someone show me the steps?
(a+b)(a-4c)

Just a quadratic. It is the lack of numbers which makes it daunting. Just think about it, group like terms and expand to check Smile

(04-06-2011, 01:03 AM)AsSaSs@iN Wrote: [ -> ](a+b)(a-4c)

Just a quadratic. It is the lack of numbers which makes it daunting. Just think about it, group like terms and expand to check Smile

Thats not alg1 bro. Look op, distribute the squared number than look for like terms.
(04-06-2011, 01:03 AM)AsSaSs@iN Wrote: [ -> ](a+b)(a-4c)

Absolutely correct.

I tried to FOIL or FILO, got the result as the OP.
(a+b)(a-4c)

FOIL Process
a * a = a^2
a * -4c = -4ac
b * a = ab
b * -4ac = -4bc

put it all together:
a^2 - 4ac + ab - 4bc
Im glad im in geometry,
(04-06-2011, 02:38 AM)RDCA Wrote: [ -> ]Thats not alg1 bro. Look op, distribute the squared number than look for like terms.

In Australia we don't call our classes by names like that so I don't really know specifically what he was looking for. I just answered the question and said how Smile
(04-07-2011, 12:14 AM)AsSaSs@iN Wrote: [ -> ]In Australia we don't call our classes by names like that so I don't really know specifically what he was looking for. I just answered the question and said how Smile
Yea in the US we go by names, you did an algebra two methods, alg1 barely touches quadratics.
(04-07-2011, 03:23 AM)RDCA Wrote: [ -> ]Yea in the US we go by names, you did an algebra two methods, alg1 barely touches quadratics.

I know this thread is old, but I felt the need to reply.
You should really learn more about math before trying to post help in this, or any other, section/place/forum.

A quadratic equation is an equation in which the highest quantity is a square.
Therefore, factoring them, as Assassin said, is very simple and straight forward.
(04-24-2011, 09:47 PM)Provenance Wrote: [ -> ]I know this thread is old, but I felt the need to reply.
You should really learn more about math before trying to post help in this, or any other, section/place/forum.

A quadratic equation is an equation in which the highest quantity is a square.
Therefore, factoring them, as Assassin said, is very simple and straight forward.
Yes but its not an alg1 topic. I do know what I am talking about considering I am in algebra 2. So I think I would know what a algebra 2 method is.
I'm currently in Calculus, and I beg to differ.
[Image: inzIEK.jpg]

A quadratic is just an equation. Equations aren't part of Algebra 1? lol?
Pages: 1 2