Support Forums

Full Version: Jumping into C++ ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Is it good to just go from general programming knowledge, to just jumping into C++.

I just want to learn a programming language that will help me, I know it might take some time.
But I'm a quick learner, have an awesome memory and a good concentration level.

Should I get another language down before jumping into C++ ?
Even if you've never programmed, you can start with C++.
Personally, I advise you rather start with C#, which is much simpler and is similar to C++. Smile
(03-25-2011, 09:35 AM)cfillion Wrote: [ -> ]Even if you've never programmed, you can start with C++.
Personally, I advise you rather start with C#, which is much simpler and is similar to C++. Smile

You can start with any language if you've never programmed before. C++ is a vast language though, so it would be hard to learn in it for the first time. But you can get the basics down fairly easily if you aren't a heavy programmer in that language.

What do you mean by general programming knowledge? I think you'd do well just starting off with C++, if you want to learn a language, there's not really a whole lot you can do other than just to take on the language that you want to learn. Some are similar and some are different, but C++ seems to be in the middle of a lot of languages, so you could learn one habit from one language and move it into C++ but that would only be a portion of it. Other languages are the opposites and you have to continually break bad habits when you try to incorporate one to the other. Just start off with C++.

I would have said go from C, or C+ to C++ but those are outdated anyway, and C++ is just an improved/upgraded version from the 2. C++ is fairly basic, but it's also advanced, so just start off with the basics and go from there.
(03-25-2011, 11:17 AM)Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]You can start with any language if you've never programmed before. C++ is a vast language though, so it would be hard to learn in it for the first time. But you can get the basics down fairly easily if you aren't a heavy programmer in that language.

What do you mean by general programming knowledge? I think you'd do well just starting off with C++, if you want to learn a language, there's not really a whole lot you can do other than just to take on the language that you want to learn. Some are similar and some are different, but C++ seems to be in the middle of a lot of languages, so you could learn one habit from one language and move it into C++ but that would only be a portion of it. Other languages are the opposites and you have to continually break bad habits when you try to incorporate one to the other. Just start off with C++.

I would have said go from C, or C+ to C++ but those are outdated anyway, and C++ is just an improved/upgraded version from the 2. C++ is fairly basic, but it's also advanced, so just start off with the basics and go from there.

I mean general programming like I know how it works and how each language has it's own syntax, I've done some C# and VB6 and a little bit of PHP.

I've pretty much mastered HTML, a little bit of javascript and a few other little things.
But I've been reading a few tutorials and eBooks about C++, it may take me a while. But I think I'm going to learn it.
It is a very good choice. Thumbsup
When you will have mastered the basics and when you will look for for a good cross-platform graphical framework, I suggest you Qt.
If you know only VB and you move in C++, you are going to be extremely frustrated.
I started out with C++ as my first language.
C++ is extremely hard learn something small like VB6 then make decent projects in there then move on C++ is like VB with a bigger pencil.
If you're learning a language for the first time I really recommend either Visual Basic (2008-2010) or c#.
(03-26-2011, 03:13 PM)Splodge0007 Wrote: [ -> ]If you're learning a language for the first time I really recommend either Visual Basic (2008-2010) or c#.

I've been going at C# a little bit, I have learned some VB before, but I personally don't like it.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4