Support Forums

Full Version: Panic attacks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone get them?

I get them regularly, either when I'm way too stressed out or in a major fight with someone. They scare me to death at the time but I've been trying to find a way to help stop them while I'm in an attack. My attacks only last a few minutes, but the period of when I'm more susceptible to them lasts a few hours (meaning, after the first initial attack, it's easier to trigger another two or three attacks after for a couple of hours). I've been meaning to go see a doctor or therapist or someone who can help but I'm not sure of where to go to first or if one wouldn't be able to help me :/

If you get them, do you have any tricks to help ease the anxiety down? Or does anyone know any treatments or fixes for calming someone down while they're in an attack? :/
Eh, I've had one or two. I got them both in the bathroom... :\

I imagine breathing exercises would help though.
Breathing exercises while in an attack or while calm? I have to get Viral to help me when I'm in an attack so I have a kind of guide to get my breathing back down. If left on my own, my thought process is too scattered to focus on an exercise...
Hej there, have you found out what causes the attacks? If not, any chance of keeping a journal. Natural rememdies which have proven to work is johannesort tablets which are known for its calming effects. The tea is good too. However long term treatment, it sounds to me that your subconscious is tiggering something for you to react in the way you do. Maybe back to your childhood or something you have seen. Therapy is something. It is hard when having an attack to think of breathing. But it would help to start becoming more conscious of your symptoms and causes to be allow a professional where u live to help you. Where do you live? If you have a pool, sometimes jumping or trampolining (may sound odd) can help refocus your attention away from the attack and allow you to physcially pump is out so to speak. A japanese oil nearby to inhale can also quickly sooth the senses. if it a go and let me know how it works out for you. A combination of therapy and help remedies for home is something i imagine will be best for you. Just got to find the best self remedy for you while you get help to find the source of the problem. One question, do you also get stomach aches or often stomach cramps?
Meditation! That is good for calming and your mind also you can be like me when im mad i go outside and jerk.
"When you’ve been looking for some effective tips to prevent panic attacks, you may have been advised by a doctor to practice the proper breathing exercises to help you keep calm during the attack. In fact, rapid breathing helps you expel carbon dioxide which could otherwise increase the level of panic attacks, which is why one of the more common remedies is to breathe into a paper bag, keeping it over your nose and mouth until you feel the panic start to lessen.

There are a few basic things you should do to help prevent panic attacks. Try reducing the amount of stress in your life, take regular exercises and if appropriate go on a diet. It will also help if you avoid consuming too much caffeine or alcohol. Also, learn proper relaxation and breathing techniques, whilst seeking support from your peers and facing up to your emotions."
@Subject13 Thanks for that :] I thought I read somewhere else that the paper bag trick will do more harm than good? Also, I quit caffeine specifically because my panic attacks got worse when I was caffeinated. I haven't had a caffeinated beverage in a year. Alcohol has no effect on my stress level besides making me really stupid-happy for a bit, then just easing me off into exhaustion. Not like a caffeine crash.

@HakkuR Hmm, I used to meditate a little. Won't work during an attack though because one, I can't sit still; two, I'm wayy to freaked out to try and settle myself :/ But I guess if I'm feeling the stress build up, I'll have to force myself away from the computer monitor to meditate for a bit <3

@monique12345 No, I don't have a specific reason for the attacks. Generally, it's when too much stress builds up from daily life...like excessive college work, worrying about finances, or other things. Or if I get into a bad argument with my husband, it triggers it fast. I haven't heard of the natural remedies...are they something you take daily like a vitamin?

As for the subconscious... the only thing I can think of off the bat is a lot of arguments with my parents. Lots of volatile arguments with me crying through all of them. Grew up in a very strict patriarchal household where my father's word is law whether I like it or not and whether it makes sense or not. And i wasn't allowed to argue back. Well, for someone who always has an opinion, that caused a lot of trouble :/ It's always easy to blame the parents though so I'm not sure if that's it.

I don't have a pool or a trampoline, but I do have a husband who tries to distract me. He'll usually hum to me and if the attack isn't that bad, it distracts me long enough for my breathing to calm down. I hate having to rely on him every time for an attack though; I know it scares him and I don't want to put that much stress on him since he used to get panic attacks a lot (different symptoms and triggers than mine though). I've only gotten stomach pains once or twice, but that was because I was laying down and my body kept wanting to curl into this kind of C-shape, like the fetal position and I was shaking. Most of the time though, the first thing that happens with hyperventilation is that the tip of my nose goes numb, along with my pinky and ringfinger on my right hand.

Thanks for your informative replies, everyone <3
Meditate some more ill do it with u.
Mmm...

I hear about these quite often.

I feel kinda bad to hear about them, must suck =/

I don't know much about them. Sorry, I can't be of much help here.
Do you drink a lot of coffee? Or energy drinks for that matter?

It can also be that there's something at the back of your mind that you're worried about, and it's being projected through other things that happen to you.
Pages: 1 2