Support Forums

Full Version: Build my mom a desktop?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My mom has an old Dell from maybe '03? It runs like hell, I can't believe she can bear to use it.

I've been thinking about building her a new one or just buying a more modern one that I could always build upon.

She uses it for work, so mostly browser/email, nothing fancy. The most demanding application is probably Farmville, literally (she's level 96 LOLNERD).

I'm open to anything but here's what I was thinking...
  • Minimum of 500 GB, 7200rpm HDD
  • Up to 4G DDR3 RAM. doubt she'll need any more than that.
  • Windows 7 Home Premimu 32-bit, easiest to use for her sake.

That's all I got for now, I'll update with more criteria later. Mostly just looking for advice on a processor, motherboard, graphics combo. A credible on-board would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,
-scalise
(03-15-2011, 10:48 AM)Scalise Wrote: [ -> ]My mom has an old Dell from maybe '03? It runs like hell, I can't believe she can bear to use it.

I've been thinking about building her a new one or just buying a more modern one that I could always build upon.

She uses it for work, so mostly browser/email, nothing fancy. The most demanding application is probably Farmville, literally (she's level 96 LOLNERD).

I'm open to anything but here's what I was thinking...
  • Minimum of 500 GB, 7200rpm HDD
  • Up to 4G DDR3 RAM. doubt she'll need any more than that.
  • Windows 7 Home Premimu 32-bit, easiest to use for her sake.

That's all I got for now, I'll update with more criteria later. Mostly just looking for advice on a processor, motherboard, graphics combo. A credible on-board would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,
-scalise

M4A785TDV-evo motherboard (it's what I have and has onboard graphics perfect for her)
Go with an AMD CPU, you can probably be good with a dual or triple core.
(03-15-2011, 11:55 AM)Nemmyy Wrote: [ -> ]M4A785TDV-evo motherboard (it's what I have and has onboard graphics perfect for her)
Go with an AMD CPU, you can probably be good with a dual or triple core.

That's what I was thinking. Thing just has to last a bit, nothing fancy. You're right with the AMD, Intel is overpriced for her needs, and I'll probably go dual. I was looking at a $160 ASUS 23" monitor that looked pretty sexy.
(03-15-2011, 12:13 PM)Scalise Wrote: [ -> ]That's what I was thinking. Thing just has to last a bit, nothing fancy. You're right with the AMD, Intel is overpriced for her needs, and I'll probably go dual. I was looking at a $160 ASUS 23" monitor that looked pretty sexy.

There was a sweet one in their discount email today, here. It's $145 after you use the code and get your MIR.
I would just go to Best Buy and buy one of those MiniTower desktops.
They are small but really nice and fast AND cheap!
(03-15-2011, 12:31 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: [ -> ]There was a sweet one in their discount email today, here. It's $145 after you use the code and get your MIR.

That's the one I was talking about loser.
(03-15-2011, 03:02 PM)Scalise Wrote: [ -> ]That's the one I was talking about loser.

NOoo you're the loser, you said it was $160
(03-15-2011, 03:25 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: [ -> ]NOoo you're the loser, you said it was $160

Guestimation, the same tool we use in Computer Science.
(03-15-2011, 03:34 PM)Scalise Wrote: [ -> ]Guestimation, the same tool we use in Computer Science.

I use my genius brain in CS.
Have you actually decided to build your mom a computer or are you too lazy/don't know what you're doing?
(03-15-2011, 03:37 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: [ -> ]I use my genius brain in CS.
Have you actually decided to build your mom a computer or are you too lazy/don't know what you're doing?

She just told me she doesn't want one. I'll make her one anyways. LOL
Pages: 1 2