Support Forums

Full Version: Getting over nostalgia or...the feeling of missing something
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When listening to a song, smelling a certain smell, or thinking about a certain person it reminds me of this place I always used to go to (and I'll go to this summer often). I just can't wait to go there and see everyone...but for now how the hell do I get over this feeling??!
I had the same problem. basicly, I just got over it. Sorry I'm not much help =\
There is no way, its a feeling that never leaves nor relents. It will consume you if you can't control it.
To be honest,I have no clue since I have never experienced this,sorry I couldn't help you out.
Ah yeah. It's a bittersweet feeling for me. The nostalgic almost emptiness because you can't go back to it right now but you know exactly how happy it makes you. Really, you need to find something to take up your time NOW. Something that makes you happy now.
Try to work around the negative emotions and enjoy the nostalgia, embrace the memory instead of dwelling on the fact that you can't go there now. If you can't do that, if it's simply a negative feeling, try the 10 deep breaths. You would be amazed how nice this works if you truly give it a chance. I'm going to be telling everyone to do this from now on.
Sit down and turn on some relaxing music or sit in silence, start taking deep breaths and only focus on your breathing. As soon as any stressful thought enters your mind remember that you're supposed to be thinking about breathing. Not memories, good or bad try to push everything out and just breath. Rest your hands somewhere and just think about the texture of what your touching, then back to thinking about your breathing.

This feeling that you're experiencing isn't too bad, you'll get better. Especially since summer is around the corner. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Good luck to you.
Thanks paradox. It's a place up in the Poconos where we have camp fires and I smelt a fire yesterday and it just wouldn't go away which sparked the memory. I ended up playing some Super Smash Brothers: Melee to get my mind off things.

I'll try to remember the 10 breath things. +rep for your help, though.
EDIT:
Gave too many +reps today I guess..I'll get you tomorrow.
No problem. By the way, the breathing exercises may not work the first few times because you will most likely not be giving it an honest shot. It was awkward for me to really try the first few times, once you feel comfortable doing it it's sure to help. Breath slow and it will slow your heartbeat and lower your blood pressure. It's nice.

Anyways, good luck to you once again.
I know that feeling. It really boils down to being able to accept that you're not there, look forward to going there, and move on during it. You really need to find and appreciate the place and be happy you have it.
Well, the thing about nostaligia is that can be a positive *or* negative emotion.
I get awesome nostalgia when I think about old video games I used to play.

Not so good when i see pictures of loved ones I don't speak to any more.

Such is life, I guess.
Hangout with friends
Get a girlfriend, if you don't already have one
Stay active on forums, especially this one!Big Grin