Support Forums

Full Version: Whats the best solution to remove fleas from a dog?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
title pretty much sums it up...
if shampoo, which type/brand is the best?
There are some "drugs" for it. Or you can try and pay some professional dog washers to wash your dog and remove the fleas.
Special shampoo you can buy from the vet. Smile
(03-11-2011, 07:00 AM)KillaMuvZ Wrote: [ -> ]Or you can try and pay some professional dog washers to wash your dog and remove the fleas.

I'd recommend this depending on where you live (some places it'd very expensive, other it's dirt cheap).
This way you know your dog is going to be 100% clean of fleas as it is being done professionally, as opposed to it being done by you with shampoo/drugs that may or may not work.

I reccomend if you have a problem with fleas, calling a vet and ordering some medicine. Obviously don't take the dog to the vet or the fleas could get on other peoples animals.
In-expensive Route:
A better solution to this problem might be to look into purchasing monthly applications of Frontline, this may be cheaper and more effective than most shampoos if your keeping the Frontline applied each month.

Effective Route:
There is a fairly new product that is also if not better; Vectra 3D covers a wide variety of other parasites and what not besides just Fleas, and I recommend and our veterinary practice has now converted too completely. Vectra 3D, contact your local hospital on more information or to get a prescription or read more here:
http://www.vectrapet.com/

If your pet has a decent amount of fleas, chances are your home may be a hotspot for fleas as-well and may want to be investigated so that the fleas do not return to your pet when the dosage wears.

-Dr. Leffler
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Buy a special shampoo, or take him to the vet.

Sometimes it's the environment that gives it to them make sure he sleeps somewhere clean.
I'm not a dog flea expert but I would assume the best way to treat your dog would be to get a shampoo. The best thing would probably be to call up your vet and ask them if they have any shampoo. If its priced way to high I would go to your local pet store "pet smart" or "Petco" and ask an employee there.
(06-17-2011, 07:36 PM)Frowneyface Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not a dog flea expert but I would assume the best way to treat your dog would be to get a shampoo. The best thing would probably be to call up your vet and ask them if they have any shampoo. If its priced way to high I would go to your local pet store "pet smart" or "Petco" and ask an employee there.

Agreed. I would get some sort of shampoo, try not to get the cheapest one. They don't usually work. A dog needs to have a bath just like a human does. I would get shampoo and give him a bath about once every week or two.
keep him clean all the time. shampoo 2 times a day i think. good luck bro.