Support Forums

Full Version: Getting my life on track!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey SF!

Usually on the other side of these threads, but I'd like to share my 'Story' with everyone Smile

I'm an Australian male and 20 years old, turning 21 in October.

Turning 21 in Australia, really should show that this is the point where you should have some direction in life.

Anyway, I'll show my points in how things have gone so far!
(For those who don't know Year 12 is final year in Australia, Victoria high schools)

2007: Decided to not finish year 12 and go into the Australian Army - Soon after I met a girl and the Army idea fell through. (I regret this now.)

2008: Worked at my local Woolworths (Supermarket) for the whole year. Really just a waste of a year. Thought I might want to become a baker, but after a week into my apprenticeship, I quit. Didn't like it to be honest.

2009: Still working at Woolworths. Went to England and Singapore for 3 months. Once I came back I thought I better get my crap together so I thought(because my brother is in the navy, why not?) I should head to the navy. I was in recruit school for a month and quit. To this day I don't know why I quit. It was mentally weird for me.

After a week, once I got home I was like wtf am I doing.

2010 - Still working at Supermarket. Decide at around September I would go into the Police Force in Victoria. Took a course on the exam to help my chances of preparation for the test. In November I took the test and failed by one mark in Spelling and Maths.

EDIT: I also went back and finished my year 12 schooling last year, which was weird as it was in my sisters year at school, 2 years younger than me. But I needed the pass to apply for the police force.

2011 - Been holding off my retesting for the exam. But, today I got an invite for a going away party from my mate Aaron, he applied AFTER I did and he is going in around late March.

This got me annoyed. What am I doing? Why do I keep ruining my chances!

So today, I booked my retest. Will be in a month or so, and if I fail, at least I had a crack. I can retest in 6months if I fail. But, that's not an option.

This is my thread on getting a helping hand on studying for the exam: http://www.supportforums.net/showthread.php?tid=16214

Cheers for reading
First off, let me be the first to say good work on beginning to finish your education, while you can survive without it; having it makes your life a LOT easier. Also, if you are worried about the test, just study for it. A few hours a day, or even 30 minutes will get you ready for it in a week or so. Procrastination is horrible, I know exactly how you feel.
Well done on going back to school, even though it felt weird. How many siblings do you have? Also, considering that you worked at Woolworths throughout the recession, it is a positive mark on your resume.

You mention re-sitting the test in a month or so, when exactly? Do you know any other candidates whom you can study with?
(02-17-2011, 11:17 AM)Istandor Wrote: [ -> ]First off, let me be the first to say good work on beginning to finish your education, while you can survive without it; having it makes your life a LOT easier. Also, if you are worried about the test, just study for it. A few hours a day, or even 30 minutes will get you ready for it in a week or so. Procrastination is horrible, I know exactly how you feel.

Hey, cheers for the reply. I finished my year 12 which is the final year in high school in Victoria, Australia Smile Considering I Joined after a term in, I flew through the school work and exams, was surprised how easily it came back to me and without distractions from many classmates, as when I was at school I was more of a joker than a worker! Finished all that in November, 2010 Big Grin

Was good in the fact I did meet a lot of people outside of my normal group of older friends!

Also, I had to finish VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education) to apply for the Police Force, otherwise I would've had to wait till I was 21, and the process takes around a year to get in anyways :S

Cheers Smile

(02-17-2011, 11:57 AM)Eve Wrote: [ -> ]Well done on going back to school, even though it felt weird. How many siblings do you have? Also, considering that you worked at Woolworths throughout the recession, it is a positive mark on your resume.

You mention re-sitting the test in a month or so, when exactly? Do you know any other candidates whom you can study with?

Hey! Cheers for your reply Smile

Thanks! It was an easy decision to make to go back to school, TO be honest! Should have finished in the first place Tongue

Siblings, I have 3. Older brother Jason is in the Navy in his 4th year I think. He loves it in there, been to Hawaii, New Zealand and Indonesia so far and getting paid for it!
I'm the second oldest Smile
Then there is my sister Monique, who just finished school with me. She is going to university this year, studying Criminology and Foreign relations.
Adam the youngest, lives out on the farm with my dad and he plans on being a farmer, he is still young, only 16!

My resitting of exam will be end of march Smile and no I don't know anyone else, it's kinda a thing where you go into a room with strangers and take the written exam Smile

Cheers Big Grin
You just have bad luck or you keep making bad choices on purpose...