Support Forums

Full Version: [Moderate Difficulty] Math Challenge for the Week - Surprise Included!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lets educate some people. If anyone can solve this with working I will give them a surprise.

I know the answer and process so all working must be shown to ensure you didn't just cheat.

Graph the following showing all important features (y intercept, x intercept [if any], asymptotes, stationary points and any points of inflexion).
Graph equation: http://i56.tinypic.com/wu5e6f.jpg

Forum version: y = 1/x^2-3

I will post the answer on Saturday. Good luck.
Are you looking for a response like this:
or something else? (it's a relatively low-res image, but the graph I drew might be considered a 'spoiler')

Also, I wasn't sure to what degree you would categorize cheating. I assume you mean no calculators, etc; showing mostly manual derivation?
[Image: il0Uxa.png]
Deltron, I think you misinterpreted his equation... in LaTeX it would be \frac{1}{x^2-3} where subtracting a three is part of the denominator.
Looks good ZedNull, did you include stationary points and any points of inflexion? Graph is pretty much right though. (from what I can make out.) What did you say the vertical asymptotes were?
I'd like to know what the surprise is.
Ok we are done, the surprise is ZedNull can choose my user title for a few months Smile

ZedNull PM me what you want. I will try and do an easier question next time Tongue