Support Forums

Full Version: [Mental Help] Un-Alignment / Un-Centered Phobia???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TheFriendlyGuest

Hi All,

I really need some help with this weird and strange phobia. Its a phobia where everything must be in the middle or somewhat equal. Its really starting to affect me and Google does not help. Most things must be in the middle.

For example, On the sims 3, If I build a house, whats on one side is on the other. Even if only one person lives at the house, Ill have a lounge in the middle and kitchens on both sides, all with the same sizes, and the same items, like the lounge is a mirror. If I play a movie in windows media player, and make it full screen, before the mouse disappears it must be in the middle of the video, Its just getting crazy.

I need help with this Sad

Any advice appreciated on how to overcome this.

-TheFriendlyGuest
It's called OCD.

OCD, or Obsessive-compulsive disorder, is usually treated with medication and therapy. I would contact your doctor or health care provider for further steps to help relieve your disorder.
(02-09-2011, 04:44 PM)Deltron Wrote: [ -> ]It's called OCD.

OCD, or Obsessive-compulsive disorder, is usually treated with medication and therapy. I would contact your doctor or health care provider for further steps to help relieve your disorder.

Most people have mild obsessions or compulsions, and it is not a problem until it actually starts interfering with your life. For example, many hobbies that we are encouraged to have as children -- stamp collecting, embroidery, reading -- require developing habits of mild obsession or compulsion, to do well. To be neat requires a compulsive mindset as well. Many engineers and architects also share your preference for symmetry and alignment.

So before you accept that you have a 'disorder,' speak to a GP about your habits. You may find that your preferences actually reflect a tendency towards certain skills or professions.
Read up on living with OCD. It should give a few things to deal with it. Its a disorder, and you can't help it. We all have a little bit of it in us.
Your focusing too much on what's around you.
I'd suggest just trying to ignore your surrounding for a bit.
I'm not a therapist (I would suggest consulting with one), but I don't think it's that bad unless it's causing you any trouble. On the other hand, it does look like its stressing you out. Try going to a post-modern or abstract art gallery, it has a lot of asymmetrical works. Maybe it can relieve you of that feeling of "everything should be in place". And you can try listening to songs that don't have any chorus, they usually don't have any order but I know a couple that sound good.