Support Forums

Full Version: Irc suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey...i want to make a suggestion...it would be nice if S.F. had an Mirc chat room so we could talk and solve our problems better...(sorry for my grammar)
mmmm, I don't really see the point in this. If you really need to talk to someone to solve your problems that fast, add them on MSN.
I don't think Omni likes to run IRC channels, nor does he have the time, he never wanted to run, nor take part in the IRC channel of his other forum Smile
So few use IRC. Look at HF. There are thousands of members but we have about 20 that idle in the IRC. It's just not a very popular well used system anymore.
I see...
But i think it's more practical...and helpfull...anyway u are the owner you know..Tongue
(10-15-2009, 11:18 PM)Kotel Wrote: [ -> ]Hey...i want to make a suggestion...it would be nice if S.F. had an Mirc chat room so we could talk and solve our problems better...(sorry for my grammar)

(10-16-2009, 12:15 AM)Omniscient Wrote: [ -> ]So few use IRC. Look at HF. There are thousands of members but we have about 20 that idle in the IRC. It's just not a very popular well used system anymore.

I agree with both of you. Because this is a support site, based upon providing technical support, and IRC would be beneficial because it offers people who don't have an account and need answers fast an opportunity to get what they're looking for without going through the hassle of registering, only to never use the account again because they've found what they're after.
On the other hand, as mentioned by Omniscient, very few people choose to use IRCs these days, which is why it may prove to be ineffective. I think if the site grows to become one of the leading technical support websites, an IRC system would be worth a shot.
Quote:an opportunity to get what they're looking for without going through the hassle of registering, only to never use the account again because they've found what they're after.

In that scenario it does not benefit this site at all. It's why it won't happen here. Normally once people register they are more likely to participate if only for a short time. The hard part is conversion from guest to member.