Support Forums

Full Version: Torn rotator's cuff...and I pitch..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, in summer of 2009 I had a minor bike accident. I chipped a tooth, bruises, scrapes, and a "bruised" shoulder. So I was told...I went to the ER and a couple other doctor's and I was was assured it was just a bruise and there was NO tear in my shoulder.

Well I've been lifting since the start of my freshmen year and started doing shoulders. I'm been using 16 pounds and standing upright and lifting the weights up to my sides. I did that for two days, went to my other body parts. Then two days ago I did shoulders again(to keep my workouts consistent) and after my 2nd set my right shoulder(the one I fell on) started hurting....a lot.

I looked up symptoms of a torn rotators cuff and I have all of them. Ir hurts when I left it, when I do arm circles it gets tired REALLY easily, and it pops (not cracks) when I rotate it.

Worst part? I'm a pitcher and baseball starts NEXT MONTH. I'm so stupid for not checking this out when it happened man...I'm gonna go to the doctor asap and get an MRI. Hopefully it is a minor tear or no tear at all...and I won't have to get surgery. If I have to get surgery well I won't be pitching competitively ever again in my life according to everyone I've spoken to.

My mom even has a torn left shoulder and says she has the same issues as me only a bit worse....so I don't know what to expect. Anyone have tips for me or suggestions? I'm honestly scared because baseball is one of the funnest things I've ever done...and being a pitcher is even greater. When all the attention is on you and you do good, the feeling is amazing.
dont think about the worst case. first go to a doc asap to see whats going on. it might not even be so serious. but even in case of having a surgery this doesnt mean you will not be able to play baseball for the rest of your life. some people had worse accidents and they were able to play again. think positive my friend Smile
It might not have to do with the tear at all if you started lifting weights like a year later. You may have just been lifting the weights wrong or your technique may have been bad.
My mom had a shoulder surgery about a year ago and they messed up her rotator cuff. She needs surgery again to fix it but she will be out of work for 4 months, and shes a hair dresser. But my advice to you is to see a doctor, find out whats wrong and if it is the rotator cuff, get surgery. I've seen my mom in pain for over a year and it kills me, don't let it worsen by neglecting it.
I suggest putting pressure on it, or a wet towel to prevent pain.