Support Forums

Full Version: Sir vs first name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What's teachers asking you to address them as 'sir' or 'miss' but then others tell you they don't want you to refer to them as anything other than by their first name because it makes them sound older?

My new gym teacher's name is Mark and a classmate addressed him as 'Mr.XXXX' on the first day of class. He told him not to say that because it makes him look over his shoulder for his father. Acceptable. But can't everyone just stick to one use. I mean, sure, everyone preferred to be addressed differently. Some adore the authority while others would much rather feel close to their students. I don't mind that part. It's just the teachers that give you hell for choosing the wrong manner of addressing them. Jeez. Relax. If you teachers would decide on one term, we'd stick to it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Yes. I usually call them by how they introduce themselves to me the 1st time we meet.
Some say Please call me Mr. John Doe or they'll say just call me John. That's my approach.
(01-21-2011, 05:03 PM)Zyptic Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. I usually call them by how they introduce themselves to me the 1st time we meet.
Some say Please call me Mr. John Doe or they'll say just call me John. That's my approach.

If they don't make it clear, it's a real clusterfuck.
When I was in school from 13+ you had to say Sir and Miss. If I am talking to someone I will say yes sir or yes mam. It's part of me.
(01-21-2011, 05:22 PM)Sam Wrote: [ -> ]When I was in school from 13+ you had to say Sir and Miss. If I am talking to someone I will say yes sir or yes mam. It's part of me.

And if you have a teacher that would much rather prefer to be addressed by his first name, as some teachers do, and you go ahead and do so, you'll get yelled at. My point exactly.
As Zyptic said,
I address my teachers as how they address themselves in the first day.
It depends on the teacher, if they don't make it clear on the first day, I just call them sir or Mr. XXXX if they want to be called by their first name they will normally correct you calmly or jokingly but if you call someone who lieks the power by their first name you will get a mouthful from them. Also it depends if I like them or not. If you chill with a teacher they normally won't care. And the only ones who talk to students in a casual fashion are the ones who don't mind being called by their first name. My favorite teacher is my Religion Education teacher even though I am an Atheist, he will teach the class at large about Christianity not trying to convert them just informing us. And then after class if you are chilling with him at lunch or whatever you just talk about sports and current events, he won't try to convert you. That's normally the kind of teacher that won't mind if you call them by their first name or Sir or Mr.

I fear I may have gone offtopic my bad.
In Philippines, we call them Kuya/Ate or just their first names
Teachers well always be messed up and they rarely know what there talking about, the fact that they don't even know what they want to be addressed as does not surprise me.
Just call them teacher, that is what I do.
Pages: 1 2