Support Forums

Full Version: Taskbar not responding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I can't believe how many problems I've been having. My taskbar isn't working and I can't do anything with it. Any ideas on how to fix it without restarting?
I don't know if this will work, but it might.

One time I accidentally ended the "explorer.exe" process, and the task bar disappeared. I ran it again and it reappeared.

Perhaps this could resolve the issue of it not working.
does it not work when you restart your computer. Restart your computer if you haven't to try and solve the issue with fresh processes before you run anything else. If I was to make a first guess, you definitely have a virus or some other infection on your computer.

If it's not responding you can end the explorer.exe process and start a new task from the file menu in taskmanager named explorer.exe.
I it sort of worked, I can use the taskbar, but all the Icons are gone except six, four of which are my clock, volume, connection status, and battery meter, and one other is the safe to remove icon.
open command prompt and type

Code:
sfc /scannow

this should help restore a lot of the important system files. I would also recommend doing computer scans with a Clean Boot and in safe mode as well, then another scan in normal mode to make sure things are in good condition. Try the HiJackThis team for assistance with looking through your system though for malicious processes though.
I'm scanning my system with something i thing most hackers don't know about.
(01-03-2011, 10:05 PM)Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]open command prompt and type

Code:
sfc /scannow

this should help restore a lot of the important system files. I would also recommend doing computer scans with a Clean Boot and in safe mode as well, then another scan in normal mode to make sure things are in good condition. Try the HiJackThis team for assistance with looking through your system though for malicious processes though.

Genius, but I expected you to explain to Aelita how to run it as an administrator, for nowadays (other than XP and below) OS need privileges to do such high priority tasks; as you see it is posted in the Windows Vista category. To possibly fix your problem search for "CMD" then find it, right click it, Run as Administrator, pass the dialog, then type
Code:
sfc /scannow
and let it run as instructed by Infinity. Reply back
I jest restarted my computer because it stopped responding, and by that I mean I couldn't do any thing.
(01-08-2011, 11:59 AM)Aelita Wrote: [ -> ]I jest restarted my computer because it stopped responding, and by that I mean I couldn't do any thing.

That doesn't help me understand what the problem is though. Did it work after rebooting? did you try the command in cmd prompt? did you try starting explorer.exe by yourself by ending it and going to new task in taskmanager?

You need to try the things that we've suggested before anyone can help you..
You might want to consider downloading and installing MalwareBytes and put you computer into safemode and run a deep scan and then again in normal mode, and check the logs after each scan for infections of malware.
Pages: 1 2 3 4