Support Forums

Full Version: Suicide Prevention
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
[Image: suicide-prevention.jpg]

If you are feeling suicidal now, please stop long enough to read the following. It will only take a few minutes. I'm not here to talk you out of your bad feelings nor am I a therapist or any other mental health professional but merely someone that understands what it is like to be in pain.

I don't know who you are, or why you are reading this but I do know that for the moment, you're reading it, and that is good. I can assume that you are here because you're troubled and therefore considering ending your life. If it were possible, I would prefer to be there with you at this moment, to sit with you and talk, face to face and heart to heart. But since that isn't possible, I'll have to make the most of this topic.

I have known quite a few people who have had plans to kill themselves, so I have a general idea of what you might be going through. I know that you might not be willing to read a long book, so I am going to keep this short.

As much as you may feel as though you've made up your mind about living, you're reading this and you've made it this far, which can only mean you're looking for a reason to save yourself from doing so. Like I mentioned, I'm not here to convince you otherwise however I would like to reach out. If you would like to talk to someone about what you've gone through, how you feel, etc., I'd be more than willing to discuss anything with you. All you need to do is PM me.

Remember, suicide is not chosen, it happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain; almost like a bathtub overflowing. If you can adopt new methods or improve existing manners of coping with pain, you'll pull through.
As requested, I've taken the time time to gather various copping resources such as hotlines and chat rooms. The choice is yours considering I know some of you may favour speaking to someone in voice rather than typing your life story. Without further a due;

Youth America Hotline

YAH is the first and only toll free, peer to peer hotline network linking callers to community based peer counseling hotlines in the nation. It connects people who are depressed or suicidal -- or those who are concerned about someone they love - automatically to a CONTACT USA or AAS certified crisis center.

I sincerely believe YAH is among the best and hand-picked it for this forum's targeted audience.

If you're not a teenager, I'm sure they'll be just as welcoming but in case you'd prefer calling someone trained to deal with problems of a different nature, here's another resource in the form of a chat.

Depression Understood

You can also try:
  • Send an anonymous e-mail to The Samaritans (I've used them before and they are really helpful and respond to every email you send them within 24 hours, A+)
  • Call 1-800-SUICIDE in the U.S.
  • Teenagers, call Covenant House NineLine, 1-800-999-9999
  • Look in the front of your phone book for a crisis line
  • Call a psychotherapist (Or speak to a teacher/counselor at school/work. Most schools have a counselor and I think some work groups have paid therapy sessions that you can use if you'd like. Inform yourself, there's nothing to be ashamed of)
  • Carefully choose a friend or a minister or rabbi, someone who is likely to listen

These are a few of the most renown copping resources but if you should still feel the need to speak to me, by all means, you're always welcome to message me at any time of the day on any day of the week and I'll attend to your needs with my full and undivided attention as soon as my schedule permits me to do so.

Hang in there.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM7-PYtXtJM[/yt]
You should also mention how selfish suicide is.
Also note, that suicide isn't really worth it for the reason that... well first let's begin with how people usually blame God even when they were Atheistic up until their suicidal thoughts for 'giving them such a bad life,' well let's not consider life as great for being given the ability to live, but let's consider it crappy because people don't like us.

Anyway, in the bible (somewhere), it states that once you're in Heaven you no longer feel any pains and you don't remember and of the pain your went through, making suicide virtually useless.
If you won't mind, I'll PM you by tomorrow. Maybe my problem isn't that horrible, neither important and you may think I'm stupid or something, but you seem to be a helpful person so I'll give it a try.
I've seen the website that originally posted this. Makes me want to curl up in a ball. It conforms to me that there really is no escape.
What a well written passage, even if you didn't write this.
People have so much to live for and ending your life will ruin all the things you could have accomplished.
(12-26-2010, 10:15 PM)Confidence Wrote: [ -> ]People have so much to live for and ending your life will ruin all the things you could have accomplished.

Most suicidal people have a hard time realizing that though. That's specifically why suicide helplines are not about trying to stop the caller from committing suicide but rather to agree with them on what they are saying. You don't want to be distant from the caller, you want them to feel like you understand where they're coming from by making concurring remarks about what they're telling you. You're trying to get the caller to open up to you and there's no way someone's going to do that if they know you haven't been in a similar situation therefore you wouldn't be able to help them. For instance, it's the same reason why people that need relationship advice don't waste their time asking/taking advice from someone that hasn't had many successful relationships. As a matter of fact, I did some reading and found out that some suicide helpline operators were once suicidal themselves.

Bottom line is that suicide prevention is not about making the distressed caller change his mind about killing him/herself but rather to help them realize what they have to lose by doing so. By doing that, they'll make the decision themselves.
This is a very nice and helpful thread.

Thank you for posting it.

Thumbsup
(12-29-2010, 09:43 AM)Rucka Rucka Ali Wrote: [ -> ]This is a very nice and helpful thread.

Thank you for posting it.

Thumbsup

I just hope the people that need to see it make their way to it. Perhaps I'll inquire about having it stickied.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15