Support Forums

Full Version: Feeling Depressed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Code:
Please correct me if this is in the wrong section, but I wanted people with this issue to see it.
Feel like you might be depressed? Possibly suicidal?

Whatever you do, Do not shut yourself away from the world, or kill yourself. So now your wondering... What do I do?

Alright so before I continue with this be sure you are depressed and not just bored, or lonely.

Some symptoms of depression:
  • Numb feeling in your stomach, or all over.
  • Lack of interest or motivation.
  • Often anxious, nervous or scared. (This might be paranoia instead)
  • Wanting to be alone, or away from people. (possibly antisocial)
  • Suicidal thoughts, or wanting to hurt yourself.
  • Loneliness or a secluded feeling.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Not enjoying life.
  • Not wanting to talk.
  • Various other symptoms, they depend on the person.

Why am I depressed?
Depression can be caused by:
  • Recent Trauma, Breakup,death,loss of a friend.
  • Chemical Inbalance of the brain
  • Lack of sleep
  • Bad thougts, Others 'slamming' or 'slandering' you.
  • Overweight

Sometimes people deny that their depressed, they can tell, but don't accept it. If you think you are depressed continue.

1. From experience it is good to get help, no matter what form your depression takes see a psychiatrist or family counselor. If you are not comfortable with meeting one or telling your parents, I'm certainly not qualified but I can be someone to talk to and give advice. (My msn: n0f4m3@gmail.com, or you may PM me.)

2. Do not go far enough for suicide, at all. Find a coping method or outlet to release your depression, some ways can be.

• Writing,Coloring,Listening or making music, telling stories. (advised)
  • Thinking, contimplating (advised)
  • Talking to friends, meeting new people (advised)
  • Many more ways, discover your own outlet/coping method

Code:
    Coping methods that are NOT Absolutely not recommended but for some people this helps, and I feel the need to post it.
    Cutting yourself (Not advised)
    Burning, destroying things (not advised)
    These two methods are harmful to yourself, and possibly others. But it is a proven way for coping, not a good way but still a way. If you are doing these suicidally DO NOT DO THEM, Only as a coping method. If it's meant as suicide attempts stop what your doing.

Well, some people DO resort to cutting themselves, or other forms of self injury.
    Instantly parents, teachers, friends freak out and try to get you help. But sometimes self injury isn't meant to be suicidal, it's actually a coping method. Not a good one but it does help people.

Now you saw some things there that are scary and marked (Not advised) These things DO work for some people and ARE coping methods, a tad scary and destructive but they help some people. We are all different and I suggest you try the (Advised) methods before the (Not advised) ones.

Next ask yourself once again, am I depressed? Most people are bored/antisocial, or unhappy. There is a difference. If you are unhappy then it's caused by something (usually) Stole property, abusive relationship, recent loss, recent fight. Anti social, your not wanting to socialize, converse, meet people, talk.

How can I be cured?
It's not that easy for most people, yet for others it's as simple as taking a nap. It all depends on the person, most likely you do not need anti-depressants or other medication, you need time, rest, healthy eating and acting, friends, and hope.
Although medicine may be needed if your depression is caused my chemical unbalance in your brain, and not the reasons I've mentioned.. See a doctor/psychiatrist to get it prescribed if you really need it, but it is not a quick-fix and certain types of it take months to take effect, have nasty side-effects and are overall unhelpful.

First steps
Get more sleep, try to socialize more, get outside, exercise. All of this are easy ways to fight depression. You do not need to see a doctor unless it's an extreme case, if nothing mentioned seems to work, try seeing a doctor, possibly medication if they prescribe it. But that won't be an instant fix. Some people say that "It's easy to be depressed" It's not. at all.

Get a friend to help you, have him/her guide you on and make sure you get the full enjoyment of life. With someone at your side things get alot easier, you don't need alot of friends to be happy. You just need a few great friends. The most important thing you need is sleep, exercising is a proven method of reducing depression aswell. Exercise an hour a day, and get 9-12 hours of sleep a night. Preferably as much sleep as you can get, lack of sleep is a main factor of depression.

Get off the computer, get out and atleast sit in the sun, preferably with somebody else. Take walks, drink lots of water and constantly fight the negative thoughts in your head with positive ones, Think positively.

Other Notes: Think positive, don't ask yourself whats wrong with you, why aren't I normal, why can't I be like her, or him. Ask yourself what makes you happier, what makes you sadder. Find out which is which and avoid the sadness. You are not different, you are not alone. Many (including me) suffer or have suffered from depression, many yet will suffer. The best you can do is not kill yourself, and try to make changes to make yourself happier, or slightly less depressed. It's not that easy, I know. It will be hard. But you can do it.

And also, your not 'different' or 'troubled' if you need to see a counselor or doctor, I have and it really helps to talk to someone about pretty much anything.

Sometimes you just need someone to talk to you.. Feel free to PM me Smile

Code:
I will make more changes hopefully and maybe this will be stickied to help people in the future. (probably not)

Side note: This was made all by me -- Extra (aka n0f4m3) And I got the information by past experiences, and talks with a counselor.

Edit:
I have re-organized some parts and added some more to this.
(11-09-2010, 07:50 PM)Extra Wrote: [ -> ]Well, Many people resort to cutting themselves, or other forms of self injury.

I kinda stopped paying attention after you said this, I don't agree with this statement at all.
Thanks for the HQ post
It's great you've gone out of your way to write a guide on this subject. May I recommend writing more in the "How can I be cure?" section? I feel that this is the most important part of handling depression. Also, I think you should separate the "not advised" coping mechanisms from the "advised" and clearly state that these are unhealthy methods of coping that should not be used at all. I look forward to seeing you write more. Personally, I feel that the subject deserves more information in a guide than what you have here so far, but it's a good start.
(11-09-2010, 09:43 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: [ -> ]I kinda stopped paying attention after you said this, I don't agree with this statement at all.
Yeah I don't agree with the statement either. Many people have the same forms of depressions as those who self inflict pain on themselves.
Depression takes many forms, and alot of people cut themselves and it needed to be addressed that it's not always suicidal. Also the Not advised ones needed to be posted aswell, because even though their unhealthy and dangerous they can work short-term to help people.
I can appreciate that you have your own opinion, which I guess may even be from experience. However, I didn't say the unhealthy coping mechanisms shouldn't be posted. I said they should be strictly separated from the advised coping methods and annotated that they should not be used. I can't deny that some people resort to such actions because they think it helps themselves, but it should not be recognized as a true and healthy coping skill.

Sure, self-harm may seem to help oneself as a short-term solution, but there are substitutes readily available that are not destructive and highly dangerous. I think it's our responsibility to promote safety and harm reduction.

Please don't take my criticism as an offense towards you or your guide; I'm simply looking out for the well-being of our members and expressing my thoughts. Inflicting harm upon oneself is not healthy behavior and may even exacerbate the issue which the person is trying to ease through self-harm. It could even be an indication of other mental disorders in addition to depression.
I edited to make a defined difference. Is there anything else you guys want me to add for depression?
Nice guide, unfortunately alot of people don't go on SF and just committ.
I just made it to help anyone who needs it. I have and am going through alot of this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8