Support Forums

Full Version: My friend with anxiety disorder having creepy reoccuring dream...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So my friend just out of the blue confessed to me that he's been having this creepy dream for the past few weeks, about 7 times. He apparently has some sort of anxiety disorder and suffers from sporadic panic attacks. He mainly sits on his computer all day, and he and his family think the dream might mean something since it happens so often. Here it is:

Quote:I watch myself sleeping on my bed, the lights are on and I am in 2 places. The one sleeping, then wakes up to an anxiety attack, which I have been having regularly for about 8 months now as my little secret. The me in bed is in great pain, as I watch, the one in bed’s chest is splitting, and two hands come out, prying it open. I continue to look and peer into the hole being opened. It is pitch black, with the exception of two glowing red eyes staring at the me observing. My body grows cold, and is filled with fear.The eyes do not blink, but they have more impact than anything else, paralyzing me. But the lights break and the light is gone except from the outside. I run for the door, and search through my house looking for anybody, looking for my family. Nobody is there, but I can hear the figure getting up, coming out of my room. I run to my door and try to open it, but the knob won’t turn. I go to my living room, and then a hand touches my shoulder. There are 4 cuts on my shoulder in front of the human like hand. And I wake up.

Any thoughts?

Also asked him about his attacks, this is what he says:

Quote:I feel like there is a hole in the center of my chest,and its ice cold,and it hurts. And from that center i feel like,broken glass,coming from that center,and down those cracks it hurts. And if i touch the area i feel the hold,it feels like my skins burning,and then im also shaking and i have a rough time breathing
He seems to be slightly over dramatic with it. He probably was suffering from an anxiety attack when he was explaining his dream.

With proper medications he can live a normal life.
anxiety could have brought the dream out, I wouldn't look at this in a supernatural or paranormal way, because it most likely is not. He simply has a reoccurring dream, there common but people don't talk about them. In his case it happens to be a nightmare. I've had one for 7 years and now I don't dream at all. (well we all dream but just don't remember)

Give it some time, if it keeps up tell him to try to ask questions in the dream, get answers. Tell him to stay at 'himself' in the lights go out etc.
Maybe he has watched a show a while ago?
That could be that he himself can't remember it, but his memory can.
Maybe something in his life has happened or he has been in a bad situation that has had major stress and he just can't handle it?
I used to have dreams that me and my mom were going to town and we were in her old car and I looked over and she wasn't there and I was in the passenger seat and every time I would leap over and grab the steering wheel and right before it wrecked I would wake up sweating, and sometimes with my mom hovering over me saying I was yelling/screaming, NO, NO, NO!!
That happened a long time ago.
I went to therapy for it, and eventually it went away.
Tell him to try and think about anything tragic that has happened, and to try and get some help from a therapist if he hasn't yet.
I'll probably suggest to him looking to medication if it lasts longer. I told him to try taking a break from technology for a few weeks, because honestly I think it's pretty refreshing to do that, but he's pretty resistant to that idea.

I told him about trying to control the dream or change it, but he just says he can't "do all that lucid dream magic bs like you do lol."
But I feel like with enough influence he could do it, so I'll see. I'll be spending a week at his house over the holidays, so I guess I can try and gauge his panic attacks myself. His family doesn't seem worried too much though, it's common with them I guess.

EDIT:

As far as anything tragic happening to him, I don't really know. I'll ask him when he logs on MSN. He says he's been having this anxiety problem for about 8 months now, and I can't really think of anything that's happened to him that he has told me. He seems pretty relaxed whenever I'm around him, only thing he ever complains about is being single but I doubt that's related. I'll ask him.
That is bad.
His family sees it as "Common"?
They need to help him, Not just sit back and let it happen.

The idea of staying with him, I don't know if you should try to stop him when he is having them, because it could be a bad outcome.
When you visit him, no matter how awkward try sleeping in the same room, witness this happening. Also see if he's eating before bed.
@Extra, Yes that would be good, But if he tries to wake him he could get hurt or his friend could do something bad.
Still haven't talked to him yet. I'm kind of curious about his family basically ignoring it too, because they way he describes it sounds potentially harmful. I've been friends with the guy since the 1st grade.
It sounds frightening, assuming his not an adult it can be so to speak 'nerve wreaking' He can be emotionally scared with trauma. Most likely not but there is still a chance. Get him to stop eating/drinking an hour before bed and tell him to get more sleep. (For it to take effect wait 3 days min)
Pages: 1 2