Support Forums

Full Version: Life issues.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ever since I was Nine, my mother had this boyfriend. She left my father when I was 7, He was always drunk, very abusive towards me, sisters, her. I'm Eighteen now, and my mother never tells me anything. So, I finally found out that she hasn't been happy with him for Two years now. Her boyfriend is the guy who raised me, and made me into what I am today. But, I just don't see what went wrong. From what I knew they never talk, they don't go places. When me and him get home from working, they just go in different rooms. Everyday.
They finally decided to leave, so he is leaving tomorrow. The thing that upsets me the most, he is the reason I have a job doing construction. I enjoy it, but. I don't know what else I can do as a career. I have no education. I was homeschooled since I was 15, no GED. I just feel like I have no future right now. She just came into my room crying, I hate seeing her cry. It upsets me. I just don't know what to do in life right now..
Alright, even though your Mom is very upset about the situation she won't be selfish. Just like it upsets you to see her unhappy she feels the same about you, she won't hold you back. I really think you should continue working for your Mothers ex-boyfriend since it makes you happy and it seems like a good option for your future career. It won't be like you're backstabbing your Mother, you wouldn't be doing anything wrong but pursuing your current life goal, your career choice. If you can you could always try to look for another construction job but until then you should work with him.

While doing so I suggest saving up money and going to a local college for contrsuction management, you seem to enjoy it and this way you'll get out of this issue. Sure this may take a while but it will be a "win, win, win". Your mother will move on without this man while you continue to work for him so you're not unemployed and gaining experience throughout a few months or years, and you'll get an education which will lead you to a even more successful life.

As for your mother being upset, you'll get the canned or cliche speeches that you should comfort her. I'm sure you already know this so I won't bother typing out that she needs you during the struggle she is now facing. Seeing as you hate seeing her like this I'm sure you love her very much, reassure her that you'll always be there.
I just found out that my mother is on depression pills. That just put more pressure on me, because pills like that can make you suicidal.
They can, it's not gaurenteed man. Don't put pressure on yourself. This is in no way your fault. Be there for your mother and make sure she continues taking her medication, and if she is still in deep depression go to the doctor with her. See if she can take another prescription that may work better for her. If you do this the first two weeks will be crucial, that is when your brain is not getting any positive effects from the drugs, only negatives.

Do your best to make sure she knows you love her very much. You are her son, her biggest reason to live. You have the most control over her, more than anything else. Just be there.
My mum cry's a lot aswel due to depression and stuff. I just chill with her for a bit and she calms down. And remember you can always have another education (It's just advised to do it at an earlier age while your brain is developing).