Support Forums

Full Version: Need some help I think?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not sure if this is the right section but whatever...

I've just started my degree course and already I'm really struggling to keep on top of all my work.
I've never been an academic kind of guy and through all my life I've struggled with writing tasks, such as essays and other assignments which is why I ditched school and moved onto doing Art & Design.. Now I'm doing my degree though and half of the course relies on written work such as scripts, evaluations, research etc..

I'm worried that I may not be able to keep on top of everything and fail.. The deadlines for work are really short and I'm not used to working at such a fast pace.

I have ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) which doesn't help when my tutor gives us tasks to do as I often miss important bits of information.

I basically just need some guidance in dealing with it all.
I completely understand the feeling of being overwhelmed by work, my mum recently went back to University to study and she's getting really stressed about the massive workload and she's in her second year.

I can appreciate that you feel that there is no way you can keep on top of the work but think about it logically, they wouldn't give you the work if it wasn't possible to complete in the alloted time.

You need to create a schedule. Assign periods of the day, say study five hours a day broken down into time slots. That way between studying you can take your time off your work and relax a bit.

To begin with it will be hard but if you stick with it you can easily slip into a routine.

p.s. Maybe this should of been in the academic section.
(10-10-2010, 08:34 AM)Sam Wrote: [ -> ]I completely understand the feeling of being overwhelmed by work, my mum recently went back to University to study and she's getting really stressed about the massive workload and she's in her second year.

I can appreciate that you feel that there is no way you can keep on top of the work but think about it logically, they wouldn't give you the work if it wasn't possible to complete in the alloted time.

You need to create a schedule. Assign periods of the day, say study five hours a day broken down into time slots. That way between studying you can take your time off your work and relax a bit.

To begin with it will be hard but if you stick with it you can easily slip into a routine.

p.s. Maybe this should of been in the academic section.

Yeh I thought about putting it in the academic section but it ended up here instead. Tongue Moderator can move it if need be.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm kinda lazy because I've tried sticking to routines before but always just slipped out of them. I've also found that I've started comparing my work with other people in my class which just makes things worse as I feel I'm way below them talent wise. I guess I'm just having a hard time adjusting to the course.
It's natural to find it hard to adjust to new things, I think once you establish a good working relationship with your course, work and teachers it will get better.
Okay, you need to look at writing this essay in a different aspect or point of view, then tackle it by writing exactly what you think and write it in detail, also write as if you are speaking to someone.
make a planner to help balance your HW
You need to get yourself together, maybe look at written works, for some inspiration.
I also agree about schedules, they help a lot.
Schedules are key here.
Its an important part of why they give so much work to do actually.
To give you real examples you may encounter while in the work force.
Unforgiving deadlines are the NORM in most places i have worked.

Are you allowed to tape record the lessons?
The reason i ask this is if you have ADD then i imagine at times you just dont want to listen and miss portions of your lesson.
Having the lesson recorded can help if this is a problem.
Otherwise schedule mate.
There are tools out there that can control your schedule also.
I recommend the action machine. I have used it for a while now.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI_gErTKTNY[/yt]

I think this is free. I am really not sure though. Check it out.
Thanks for the great advice guys. I may look into tape recording lessons I think that could really help.

Thanks a lot.
Ya know I don't always have the best advice and stuff, But what you could do and speaking through experience I sometimes often use a tape recorder to cover everything the tutor or teacher or whomever says. I have ADD as well..
Pages: 1 2