Support Forums

Full Version: Guide - Leadership Styles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This, I'm hoping will be my most informative tutorial. I'm going to be talking about leadership styles, specifically covering the different styles and when they are used. Hopefully this will provide a good basis on how to motivate and control people in many different situations.

Introduction
- "Leadership"

A leadership style is the manner and approach of of providing direction for a team, implementing plans and motivating people to complete a task. There are several leadership styles, each with advantages and disadvantages.

Authoritarian Leadership

Authoritarian leadership is a very direct leadership style where the leader tells the team members what they must do. Sometimes this style is also considered a "classic" or "autocratic" leadership style and is used when a leader wishes to retain as much power as possible and maintain control over the decision making process.

It involves the leader telling the team members what they must do without any form or consultation or negotiation. Team members are expected to obey orders without receiving any explanation.

Generally this approach is not considered to be the most appropriate way to get the best response from a team in ordinary working life, but it has distinct advantages in situations where there is great urgency and pressure to achieve. However this style discourages demonstrations of initiative from team members.

Democratic

Democratic leadership is a style of leadership where the leader maintains control of the group, but team members' opinions and views are encouraged and the leader informs the team about issues that may affect them.

In this approach the leader encourages the followers to become a part of the decision making process. The leader still maintains control of the group and ownership of the final decision, but input from team members is encouraged and the leader informs team members about decisions that may affect them, the team or the project.

This in turn encourages a sense of responsibility in team members who feel that they have vested interest in the success of the project or operation. It allows a leader to draw upon the expertise and experience of a team in order to achieve the best results for all. The democratic approach is favoured heavily because it gains team members respect and produce a high quality work ethic.

Laissez-faire
Laissez-faire leadership is a hands off approach to leadership, where the group are trusted to complete the task by the leader.

The leader exercises very little control over the group and leaves them to establish their own rules and responsibilities. Team members are given very little direction but receive power and freedom.

This style is very difficult to pursue because delegating power and authority appropriately to team members can result in failure of challenges and tasks. In general this style of leadership works best when the team are highly motivated, experienced and well trained.

Transactional
Transactional leadership is a very direct style of leadership and uses awards and punishments to motivate a team.

This is similar to authoritarian leadership but not as extreme, even though transactional leaders, like autocratic leaders are direct and dominating and spend a great deal of time telling others what is expected of them.

Transactional leaders create clear structures whereby it is obvious what is expected of them and they receive rewards for acting accordingly.

Transformational
Transformational leadership style is a form of leadership style that focuses on team performance as a whole by encouraging team members to think of the group rather than themselves. It is about moving forward as a team rather than individuals who just happen to be on the same project.

This leadership style encourages team members to overcome self-interest and move forward as a group whilst achieving common goals and interests.

Transformational leaders are often charismatic and influential, they gain support of team members through good communication and clear working visions.
Very nice tut on leadership skills bro Smile
Thanks, which do you think you are, for example I would be a mixture of Authoritarian and Democratic.
Probably a democratic.
Interesting. Anyone else like it?
Nice guide, im ether democratic or Transactional
Interesting reading.

I'm mostly Authoritarian with a bit of Democratic. In some cases (and only with some people) I used the Transactional scheme. That mixture worked for me in my previous job environment.
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
I try to remain as hands off as possible with my team. I have two employees under my supervision and both of them are self-motivated and willing to take initiative. That's the general personality type across the entire office. So it's pretty rare I need to act like a team leader. But, when I do, I'm authoritarian. It's not a democratic decision inside the work place. I take orders from the department head and my team takes orders from me.
Thanks for sharing Disease, interesting perspective.
Pages: 1 2