Support Forums

Full Version: Teacher Called Me Stupid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
She's my friend's old Spanish teacher. I'm a Sophmore, and I haven't taken a language. I was planning to take Spanish and be in her class, she seemed like a nice lady, until today. We went to her class at lunch, and usually I like to act sort of silly towards her. You know, to make her laugh. So today she asked me if I'm going to take a language. I said I guess next year, because I don't have one yet. She said in order for me to pass, I'm going to have to study alot for her class. Jokingly, I said to her, well then it looks like I'm going to have a hard time passing, I never study! She jumped all over it. She told me how I need to study and how I'll be stupid if I don't. I told her, no I won't study! I have a learning disability! (I have A.D.D) and she plainly says, oh, then you're just stupid. I tried to argue over the fact how studying something doesn't make you smarter, you can study something for a day and forget it a week later. I'm smarter than what my grades say, and I tried to tell her that. No, she says I'm stupid and immature. Why do I act this way? So I can cheer the mood up. Sorry, but at my school, the serious people are the kids with no friends, the friendly and outgoing ones have many friends, and that's exactly who I am. An outgoing person who is very friendly and has a sense of humor. This made me feel very down because the fact I flunked the 4th grade, and during my time at that school, I was teased ALL THE TIME. I was dubbed the dumbest kid in school and all of that crap. This was before I was diagnosed with my disability. What that teacher said today was wrong, and I'm going to report it. Thoughts?
She probably didn't mean it like that..

Someone took what I said the wrong way once and they still don't understand it.

You have to understand the point was basically to say you're stupid for not studying. It wasn't derogatory, it's like calling someone silly. You're a Sophomore and you shouldn't care.
A case of bad timing, where you were being flippant and she was being serious on the topic of studying. She probably felt upset when you insisted that you will not study, and lashed out with that comment. It doesn't excuse either of you, I think feelings were hurt on both sides.

You can report it, but if she is an understanding sort of person, you might also consider talking to her first.
Let her know you are kidding, she most likely could not tell.

Most of these things are just misunderstandings.
Ruining a teacher because of a possible misconception that may end up being your fault that she took it the wrong way would be an awful thing to do imo..
(10-06-2010, 06:27 PM)Reality Wrote: [ -> ]Ruining a teacher because of a possible misconception that may end up being your fault that she took it the wrong way would be an awful thing to do imo..
i def. must agree. Why are you taking it to heart anyway? you joke making yourself sound stupid so she said her opinion,for all you know she could have been joking just as much as you.
She probably wasn't actually saying you're dumb but I wasn't there. Yes, I would also report it.
In my Sophomore year, my math teacher called me Special Ed.

He plays XbL..
Even people who joke around and are friendly need to know when its time to buckle down and learn.
Even if 1% of what your getting taught gets through then it is working.
I think what she said was said because she cares. Perhaps she knows saying such a thing will get through to you as it appears it has.
Look we all need a push at times. I suspect this was her way of approaching it based on her understanding of you.
Not saying your stupid at all. But if saying you are was her way to hit your button then perhaps it worked?
Pretty sure she was just mad because after all, she is a teacher, her responsibility is to teach you.
Pages: 1 2