Support Forums

Full Version: Anybody know what might be wrong with my dog?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We took her to the vet, he just gave her antibiotics and wasn't really sure what was wrong with her.. I figured, somebody might have an experience with this so I'll see if anybody does.

One night she was all fine, then the next morning she was under the weather, really lethargic and her eyes were very gunky. She couldn't open them very easily either (first it was just one eye now it looks like it's both), so we thought it might be conjunctivitis as her eyes seemed a bit inflamed too.. but she also seems sick, like she's old and frail or something (she isn't normally, she just seems like she is now). She's sometimes making these wheezing noises when she breathes, like her throat is raspy or wheezy or something.. and she also moves quite slowly, and doesn't get excited by things like usual.

Anybody have any idea what it might be? The antibiotics seem to be helping a bit, but if somebody knows what it is, and it's possibly life threatening to her, I'd like to know. :/

Cheers.
Did she swallow or eat anything that would be considered "too big" or "sharp", such as a bone or a large piece of meat?

It might be that it's stuck in her throat which would explain why she's moving slowly and can't breath well.

One of my old Chihuahua's swallowed a huge pig bone and he had to get surgery because he couldn't digest it, it made him really sick and he would never walk or do anything.
Hmm.. she can breath, she's been like this for about two days now, so I don't think it's that.. she just has this wheezing sound when she breathes sometimes. I thought it sounded like some sorta chest infection.
How old is your dog? It sounds as if she's getting older, that's all. She's not going to be as active as before. You have nothing to worry about.
She's about four years old, na it's not old age because this happened over night.. she's usually very bouncy and jumpy and fast like a little puppy. Now all of a sudden, over night, she acts like she's really old (slow, lethargic, eyes closed most the time, not excitable, isn't barking at stuff).
It is a infection that might be on your house.

Have you contacted a veterinarian?
Yeh, first thing I said, we took her to the vet.. he wasn't sure what it was, so he gave her some antibiotics. Hopefully that'll deal with the infection if that's the case. ^^
Is she eating and drinking as usual or does she not really want it or only eats a little etc.?
(09-29-2010, 07:21 AM)N3w_2_H@Ck1n™ Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm.. she can breath, she's been like this for about two days now, so I don't think it's that.. she just has this wheezing sound when she breathes sometimes. I thought it sounded like some sorta chest infection.

I didn't ask if your dog could breath, I realize your dog has a "wheezing" sound which is why I assumed it has something caught in it's throat.

I'll ask again;

Has your dog eaten anything that could be considered too big or sharp enough to cause internal injuries?
I don't think so, she usually just eats dry food, mince meat or left over food scraps.. we haven't given her like bones or anything for a while. And it happened over night, while we were sleeping, so we couldn't have fed her anything then. Whether she tried to eat/swallow something large while we were asleep I dunno.. I kinda doubt it though, she's never tried to do that before.
Pages: 1 2 3