Support Forums

Full Version: ★★★[What is Draining My Car Battery!!!!]★★★
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought a 2002 Jetta VR6, about a two months ago and a few weeks ago it started having battery problems, now when I first tired to start my car and it wouldn't I immediately went to AutoZone and got them to check my Battery and Alternator and both tests came back perfect nothing was wrong with any of them.

So I take it back home and the next morning I try to start it up and it doesn't. So I sent it to the volkswagon dealership and they thought it might be the battery isn't the right size or alternator so they installed 2 bigger and brand new ones. And then they send it back to me, guess what ? 2 days later I still can't start,

So then I send it back again and now he says that it might be my amp in back. I've been reading some threads about this, saying that maybe my amp isn't shutting off when I turn off the car, any idea on how to fix this problem with either my Amp or the car in general ?

Things you might need to know.

1.) I bought this car used

2.) The previous owner had a aftermarket Radio installed but I don't know how much he spent on it or even how to check what it is, but the dealership says the amp is stock.

3.) New Battery

4.) New Alternator

5.) The place I bought the car won't do support for it anymore and do not have money to have people look at it right now.

Thanks a lot for any help guys,
You need to check if the main power to the amp is coming off the battery source directly.
If it is you need to change this to an ignition circuit or accessory circuit.
The same one the stereo will be feeding from.
That will certainly be the problem.
That is correct it very well could be your amp is draining your battery this happens with most vehicles with a after market stereo system. Go to any audio store and get you a 1 farad capacitor and you will not ever have this problem again. Or you could just take the power cord out of your amp every time you park and then re connect it. Although what you could do is mount a yellow top optima battery in your trunk with brackets so it won't move or nothing. Then run your power cords to your battery in the trunk then bam problem solved but at night I would reccomend disconnecting the battery cables in your trunk so it doesn't run down the battery. Oh btw I used to install competition Sound systems in cars for a living 4 years ago.
(09-14-2010, 07:56 AM)Dcrac23 Wrote: [ -> ]That is correct it very well could be your amp is draining your battery this happens with most vehicles with a after market stereo system. Go to any audio store and get you a 1 farad capacitor and you will not ever have this problem again. Or you could just take the power cord out of your amp every time you park and then re connect it. Although what you could do is mount a yellow top optima battery in your trunk with brackets so it won't move or nothing. Then run your power cords to your battery in the trunk then bam problem solved but at night I would reccomend disconnecting the battery cables in your trunk so it doesn't run down the battery. Oh btw I used to install competition Sound systems in cars for a living 4 years ago.

See i really dont think this is the correct way to wire an amp.
You need to have your supply running through a relay that is not always active.
Ignition circuit is normally used. That way when the car is turned off there is no capacity for the amp to draw any current as the relay is off.
I understand what your saying. Use a capacitor to keep some charge in the amp so when you turn it on there is not pop sort of noise.
But the key her is to take the amp off direct circuit.
Even an amp turned off will draw current if directly connected to the battery.
One in a circuit to the ignition will not.
(09-15-2010, 02:18 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]See i really dont think this is the correct way to wire an amp.
You need to have your supply running through a relay that is not always active.
Ignition circuit is normally used. That way when the car is turned off there is no capacity for the amp to draw any current as the relay is off.
I understand what your saying. Use a capacitor to keep some charge in the amp so when you turn it on there is not pop sort of noise.
But the key her is to take the amp off direct circuit.
Even an amp turned off will draw current if directly connected to the battery.
One in a circuit to the ignition will not.

That or he could just make himself a kill switch?
(09-15-2010, 06:34 AM)Dcrac23 Wrote: [ -> ]That or he could just make himself a kill switch?

If I'm doing a quick set-up like in a work car or something I always use a kill switch it's fast, it's easy and it works. If you want to do it the right way you should run it through a I/O relay. Some amps have a wire (blue I think) that will hook to a wire in the back of your stereo and will shut your amp off through the stereo when ever your car goes off (but this does not always work correctly with some amps).