Support Forums

Full Version: How to get high resolution on a console [Tutorial]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First of all, you need to buy an HDTV. There are many different types of HDTVs. You may have heard or seen the terms 720p, 1080i, 1080p, LED, HDMI, and Plasmas. Well, I will try to break down most of the information so you can decide whether or not you want to go HD on your console.

First, you got to look at your budget. Your budget determines the resolution and the size of your HDTV. If the TV is going to be in a living room, try to get a 40" HDTV or bigger. If it's going to be in a bedroom, a 30-35" HDTV is good. You don't have to go by this. Go with what YOU find to be a nice size. LED HDTVs tend to be cheaper than LCDs. LEDs are fine though. I have one and it's great. I'm not too sure about Plasmas, but all I know is that they have better colors, but a shorter lifetime.

Second, there are three main resolutions to choose for a HDTV. 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. This is simple; the higher the number, the better the quality. Obviously 1080 (the highest resolution) is going to be the most expensive. There are many arguments about whether 1080i or 1080p is better, personally I find 1080p to be better.

Third, you should choose a high quality brand. Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, and a couple of others are greats brands. Others though, such as Philips are not very popular, but are cheaper. I recommend going with the companies YOU trust. I personally trust Sony brands.

Now that you have a HDTV in your nice and pretty home, it is time to connect it with your console of choice. I have a Xbox 360, but it should be similar with the PS3 (not sure if the Wii is HD).

The 360 comes with an A/V cable. The A/V (Audio/Video) cable has three jacks. Red, Yellow, and White. These are for standard definition. Then there is the component cable, with three jacks as well. The colors being Blue, Green, and Red. Strangely enough, you only need to plug in 5 out of the six jacks.

Here's how to get HD in your console. You plug in ALL of the jacks from the Component cable and all EXCEPT the Red one on the A/V cable. You just need the audio jacks from it.

Sadly this is not enough for HD resolution. You need to go buy a HDMI cable. They usually range in price of $20-$50. Depending on the quality and brand. Choose what YOU want. Once you buy the HDMI cable, plug it in to your HDTV and console and voila! You will have HD resolution. You may have to go to your console's menu and manually select 720p/1080i/1080p for your resolution.

If you're having trouble plugging in the HDMI cable on the 360, you will notice most 360 A/V cables have a bulky plastic covering. You can remove all of it or just the bottom (whichever you want) in order for the HDMI cable to fit. You will NOT get in trouble for doing this. This simply saves money so you don't have to buy an alternate cable.

Here is a link on how to do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FptCB_3DOz4. It is NOT a hack, as you are not using any software. Sorry for the little kid being in the video Tongue good luck and have fun playing in sexy HD.
Good guide!! HD is sexy Big Grin
Hehe thx Big Grin
Yeh, hdmi is definitely the way to go, i mean 7.1 surround and video in one cable, AMAZING, nice share.
Good guide especially if you wrote it all.
Could post this in the gaming section too.
Yep. I spent a bit of my time writing it. I guess I should post it on the Video Game section too xD thanks Big Grin
Dude HD is soooooo SmeKcY lol
Thanks a lot for the Tutorial, helped a lot and made my games look so so much better. I don't really even have that good of a TV to play on. But now it's just really nice. Nice share man. Blackhat
Just as a heads up to those with a Wii, the component cables do help but the difference wasn't that significant in my opinion, at least on the TV I tried it on.

To those with a 360, not every model supports HDMI so make sure yours has it before purchasing a cable.
this is a great tut
Pages: 1 2