Support Forums

Full Version: Choosing the correct school?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ok i have a question for both the younger ones here and the older ones.
I have my son now 4 about to enrol into his first school. (just finishin kinda and starts next year)
Anyway we have to organise this pretty soon and given i am well a bit old and out of the loop this way, i was wondering what to look for in a good school?
Do i look for schools with more of the old 3 R's theory or more of a modern TEC based school?
Do i look for smaller schools in the hope they get better quality time or bigger ones for the social development skills?
Do i go private or public?

Thanks if anyone can share some advice on this subject.
Make sure it's in a good neighborhood.
I've always went to a private school, if you can afford it, i suggest you send your kids to a private school.

In my case, my fathers job provides scholarships.
(08-01-2010, 06:41 PM)Cybr Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure it's in a good neighborhood.

A very important issue i was going to bring up at some point.
Where i live we have unfortunately quite a bit of immigration. Namely Sudanese. Now i am not really racist. Reality is around here they are the ones causing all the problems. Strong arm tactics etc.
But i really am concerned about my family going to school with them.
(08-01-2010, 06:40 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Ok i have a question for both the younger ones here and the older ones.
I have my son now 4 about to enrol into his first school. (just finishin kinda and starts next year)
Anyway we have to organise this pretty soon and given i am well a bit old and out of the loop this way, i was wondering what to look for in a good school?
Do i look for schools with more of the old 3 R's theory or more of a modern TEC based school?
Do i look for smaller schools in the hope they get better quality time or bigger ones for the social development skills?
Do i go private or public?

Thanks if anyone can share some advice on this subject.
Well bro, this depends entirely on what you'd think is best for him. It's part of the role that you're entrusted with when raising a child. TBH, I don't know how the school systems are set up where you are at, but I know when I was younger that I enrolled in a HIGHLY populated school. When reached High School, I enrolled in a magnet with less then 300 students.

The difference is completely up to the child. If you think he will succeed in a small environment, then you should go that route. If you want him to excel heavily in academics then find that route as well. Also, in the academia in public/private school, most of the extended learning is done domestically; again just speaking from experience as a child.

But either way, ya child's lucky teh have a father like yourself. Oui
(08-01-2010, 06:44 PM)Mentalist Wrote: [ -> ]I've always went to a private school, if you can afford it, i suggest you send your kids to a private school.

In my case, my fathers job provides scholarships.

Money is not an issue here at all. Not one bit.
My kids education is. But i do question if private can really offer anything more than state. Examples? (i was state)
Hmm, immigration? What race?

Where I went to elementary for 8 years, the town consisted of 90%+ Mexicans, and was considered an A+ school. I'm Mexican myself.

"We have earned an A+ School of Excellence ranking in Arizona and are dedicated to providing an outstanding education for all our students. "
(08-01-2010, 06:45 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]A very important issue i was going to bring up at some point.
Where i live we have unfortunately quite a bit of immigration. Namely Sudanese. Now i am not really racist. Reality is around here they are the ones causing all the problems. Strong arm tactics etc.
But i really am concerned about my family going to school with them.

Private schools tend to be in good neighbor hoods Oui
My advice is as follows Damnik.

Personally I would base the decision of public or private on cost alone. Can you afford it? If you can then I would use private education but if you can't there are still excellent schools which offer a good education.

The next factor is on the location of the school, you need to be aware that if the neighbor hood is a bit rough with lots of crime then this will be reflected in the schools, I suspect bullying will be higher and disruptive behavior would be a certainty. If you choose a better area then I would hope the schools would be more capable to teach more efficiently.

I would recommend a religious school, not a school where you are forced to pray but a school where it is run by the church perhaps - In my experience institutes like this are very good in teaching children proper morals and behavior. Also the welfare of the children matters allot more and teachers generally care.

I don't know what 3 R's Theory but if it means something about a school that focuses on more modern subjects then I would suggest a school with good resources with technology, you learn best when your younger and computers are the way forward in today's world.

I hope this helps in some way.
(08-01-2010, 06:46 PM)XΞnon-C Wrote: [ -> ]Well bro, this depends entirely on what you'd think is best for him. It's part of the role that you're entrusted with when raising a child. TBH, I don't know how the school systems are set up where you are at, but I know when I was younger that I enrolled in a HIGHLY populated school. When reached High School, I enrolled in a magnet with less then 300 students.

The difference is completely up to the child. If you think he will succeed in a small environment, then you should go that route. If you want him to excel heavily in academics then find that route as well. Also, in the academia in public/private school, most of the extended learning is done domestically; again just speaking from experience as a child.

But either way, ya child's lucky teh have a father like yourself. Oui

I am honestly leaning towards a smaller school to start with. I have seen 1 with only 300 kids and basically all computers for every kid so thats good. But just not sure really. Its a decision that my wife and myself have been debating for days now. I actually took today off work just to spend time thinking about it. Checking out sites etc. Getting my head around the correct decision.
Important things are also which direction the Country is planning on changing schools in the future. I have to factor this in also.
Could this school be closed due to budget cuts in 3 years? Making my kids have to move schools?
But thanks for your thoughts.

(08-01-2010, 06:47 PM)Cybr Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, immigration? What race?

Where I went to elementary for 8 years, the town consisted of 90%+ Mexicans, and was considered an A+ school. I'm Mexican myself.

"We have earned an A+ School of Excellence ranking in Arizona and are dedicated to providing an outstanding education for all our students. "

Sudanese.

Mentalist Wrote:Private schools tend to be in good neighbor hoods Oui

Very true. And there generally funded very well thus secure that way.
Pages: 1 2 3